Special Vehicles in Virginia
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
Virginia's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is more lenient than most other state DMV offices when it comes to registering off-road recreational vehicles.
According to Virginia Code 46.2-679, you do not have to license or register your snowmobile.
According to Virginia Code 46.2-679.1, you do not have to register or license your ATV.
Virginia's DMV gives you the convenient option of registering your trailer annually, bi-annually or permanently. Complete a Vehicle Registration Application and drop it off at any customer service center. Be sure to bring identification and proof of ownership (bill or sale or title). Fees are based on weight and length of registration. The following rates all pertain to one year:
- 0-1,500 pounds: $18
- 1,501-4,000 pounds: $28.50
- 4,001 or more pounds: $40
- Single weight trailer (travel trailer for lodging purposes): $29.50
If you opt for permanent registration you must complete a Vehicle Registration Application. In return the DMV will mail you a registration certificate and a license plate inscribed with the word "Permanent." If you so desire, order personalized plates for an additional one-time fee of $10. Permanent registration fees are as follows:
- 0-1,500 pounds: $70
- 1,501-4,000 pounds: $75
- 4,001 or more pounds: $100
Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- Learn Your State’s Requirements for Snowmobile Titles and Registration
- You Built It, You Register It: Titling and Registering Custom-Built Vehicles
- Find Out How to Title and Register Your RV or Motorhome
- When Do You Need to Title and Register Your Trailer?
- ATV Title and Registration Requirements
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.