Special Vehicles in VirginiaPage Overview
Virginia Special Vehicles
It's common knowledge that cars and motorbikes need to be registered in Virginia, but what about other vehicles? If you own a trailer, snowmobile, or all-terrain vehicle (ATV), you may be wondering whether you need to register them or not.
In Virginia, if you want to operate your motor vehicle, motorcycle, trailer, semitrailer, or tractor truck on the road, you MUST register it first. Other vehicles are exempt from registration.
Virginia's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is more lenient than most other state DMV offices when it comes to registering off-road recreational vehicles.
According to Virginia code, you do not have to license or register your snowmobile.
According to Virginia code, you do not have to register or license your all-terrain vehicle (ATV).
Virginia's Department of Motor Vehicles gives you the convenient option of registering your trailer annually, bi-annually, or permanently. Complete a Vehicle Registration Application (Form VSA 14) and drop it off at any Virginia customer service center. Be sure to bring proof of your identity and proof of ownership (bill of sale or title). Fees are based on the weight of your trailer and your chosen registration period. The following rates all pertain to registration for 1 year:
- 0 to 1,500 lbs.: $18.
- 1,501 to 4,000 lbs.: $28.50.
- 4,001 lbs. or more: $40.
- Single-weight trailer (travel trailer for lodging purposes): $29.50.
If you opt for permanent registration the Virginia DMV will mail you a registration certificate and a license plate inscribed with the word "Permanent." Permanent registration fees are as follows:
- 0 to 1,500 lbs.: $70.
- 1,501 to 4,000 lbs.: $75.
- 4,001 lbs. or more: $100.
VA Farm Vehicles
If you have a farm vehicle, you may not need to register it with the Virginia DMV, depending on what it's used for. For a list of exempt farm vehicles, visit the VA DMV website.
If you choose to register your farm vehicle, you will be permitted to use the vehicle to transport:
- Agricultural products to your sales points (e.g. markets, stores).
- Any materials, tools, and other equipment that you need for your farm.
- Any materials you need to run your farm.
- Forest products that have originated from the farm or are related to the everyday operation of the farm.
To register your farm vehicle, you will need to visit your local VA DMV office and provide:
- Details about your farm, including:
- Type of farm (what is produced).
- A signed letter stating the vehicle will only be used for the authorized purposes.
For more information about registering your farm vehicle in Virginia, visit the Department of Motor Vehicles website.
Boat Registration in Virginia
If you own a boat in Virginia, you must register and title it with the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. You will need to provide different documents depending on whether your boat is:
- Used and has a certificate of title.
- Used but has not been titled.
- Used and documented with the U.S. Coast Guard.
For more information, visit our Boat Registration and Licenses in Virginia page.
If you have a motorhome or recreational vehicle (RV) in Virginia, make sure it's registered properly first before you take it for a drive. Follow the steps outlined on our Register Car in Virginia page.Other Topics in This Section
Organ Donation Survey
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog Check and Car Inspection
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸