Motorcycle Registration in Virginia
The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) registers motorcycles the same way it registers cars and other motor vehicles. Here is a summary of the steps involved with titling and registering a motorcycle.
To title and register a motorcycle for the first time, you will need to appear in person at a DMV customer service center for vehicle services.
How to Title a Motorcycle
- Complete the Application for Certificate of Title and Registration.
- Present the following documentation:
- For motorcycles from out of state, bring the title in your name from your previous state of residence, or the previous owner's title, signed over to you, and your current out-of-state registration card.
- Record the odometer reading.
- Pay the $10 title fee, plus any taxes due (the sales and use tax is 4.05% of the sale price, or $75 whichever is greater).
- Choose a paper or electronic title.
How to Register a Motorcycle
- Insure the motorcycle or pay the $500 uninsured motorists fee to the DMV.
- Bring proof of insurance with you to the DMV when you register your motorcycle.
- Complete a Vehicle Registration Application.
- Pay the $28.75 motorcycle registration fee. (Other fees may apply)
- Receive a license plate and mount it on your motorcycle. You can also purchase license plates that are personalized or carry special designs.