Lost Traffic Ticket in Virginia
If you need to find traffic ticket information, you can search the Virginia Courts Case Information website for information about your lost traffic ticket. You can also contact the traffic court handling your case for specific details.
Online Lost VA Traffic Ticket Search
In Virginia, you can search for your lost ticket online by locality. Simply use the Virginia Courts Case Information site.
Determine Where You Were Ticketed
If you can't find ticket information using the state's online database mentioned above, try to recall where you received your traffic ticket. Then contact the local Virginia law enforcement agency in that county. You might also try the Virginia State Police.
Decide How You'll Plead to Your VA Ticket
Once you get details about your lost ticket, you'll need to submit a plea to your traffic violation. In Virginia, you can plead one of two ways:
A "guilty" plea requires you to pay the traffic ticket fines to the appropriate Virginia traffic court. You could also face points being added to your VA driving record. For more on paying your traffic ticket online, by mail, or in person, check out our page on Paying Your Traffic Ticket.
Your other option is to plead "not guilty" to your moving violation and dispute the traffic citation before a judge. Visit our page on Fighting Your VA Traffic Ticket to learn how. If you choose this option, you may want to consider hiring a traffic ticket attorney to represent your case in court.
NOTE: A lost ticket is no excuse for missing your traffic ticket due date. It's your responsibility to find ticket information, such as the fine amount, due date, and court date (if applicable), and respond in a timely matter.
- Pay the fine online, by mail, or in court.
- Option to plea bargain penalties in court.
- Incur points on your driving record (could lead to license suspension/revocation).
- Possibly incur increase in auto insurance rates.
- Option to take 8-hour driving improvement clinic to reduce demerit points.
Learn more about
Paying Your Traffic Ticket »
(Plead Not Guilty)
- Contest traffic ticket in court.
- Choose to represent yourself during trial or hire an attorney.
- No penalties if found not guilty, but must pay court/attorney fees.
- If found guilty, incur points on driving record and possible increase in car insurance rates.
- If found guilty, possible option to take 8-hour driving improvement clinic to reduce demerit points.
Learn more about
Fighting Your Traffic Ticket »