- Location: Virginia
Paperwork When Buying a Car in VirginiaGet detailed Vehicle History Report in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start a Search:Page Overview
If you're buying a car from a dealer, it's likely the dealer will handle the paperwork for you.
You must obtain the vehicle title from the seller.
To process the title transfer, you must visit your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) customer service center to title and register your vehicle. Some vehicles will require an emissions inspection before the Virginia DMV will register them.
Note that the DMV will maintain your title in electronic form if you wish; otherwise, you can opt for the traditional paper title.
Can't be done. A title is mandatory.
In these situations, the seller must apply for a duplicate title before any transaction can be completed. The seller can do this online or by visiting any DMV office and completing an Application for Supplemental and Transfer Liens or Replacement and Substitute Titles.
If you have more questions, call (888) 337-4782.
Not an issue. A registration card is not required to buy a vehicle.
Although a bill of sale is not required, it's always smart to keep a copy on file. You can, if needed, easily download this document from our Bill of Sale page.Articles
- 5 Important Steps If You Lost Your Drivers License
- I-94 Forms and Arriving in the U.S.
- What to do if the Colorado Floods Damaged Your Car
- 9 Urgent Must-Dos If You Lose Your Driver’s License
- 7 Reasons Student Drivers Fail Their Written Permit Exam
- Werner Herzog’s Texting-and-Driving Documentary Slated to Hit Hard