Dealer-related Information in Virginia
In 1995, Virginia's General Assembly adopted legislation to shift the regulation and oversight of new and used car and truck dealers to a professional body. Thus the Motor Vehicle Dealer Board (MVDB) was born. The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) still regulates and oversees dealers of motorcycles, trailers, and recreational vehicles.
If you sell cars or trucks and one of the other types of vehicles, you can renew your license through the MVDB as a convenience. You do not need to deal with both agencies to do this.
The MVDB has a wealth of information for car and truck dealers. The site includes a history of the board, explains its purpose, and lists licensing requirements for dealer-operators and salespeople.
It describes in detail the advertising code and regulations, as well as procedures for dealers to register and title cars and trucks in Virginia. While much of this information overlaps info that is also on the DMV's website, the MVDB site has enough unique info to make it worth a visit. It even lists some information for the general public.
Here is a taste of some of the information dealers or dealers-to-be can get from the MVDB:
- Licensing Process: How to become an auto dealer or salesperson.
- Dealer Talk: Newsletter back issues.
- Dealer and Salesperson Study Guide: Download this PDF to help you pass the licensing exam.
- Advertising: Dealer advertising guidelines.
- Online services for dealers: Renew your dealer certificate, salesperson's licenses, and license plates free online.
If you are interested in becoming a car or truck dealer or salesperson, you can contact the MVDB with further questions:
- Motor Vehicle Dealer Board
- 2201 West Broad St., Suite 104
- Richmond, VA 23220
- Tel: (804) 367-1100; fax: (804) 367-1053
If you want to become a motorcycle, trailer, or RV dealer or salesperson, you can contact the DMV with questions:
- Department of Motor Vehicles
- Dealer Services Division
- P.O. Box 27412
- Richmond, VA 23269
- (804) 367-0901
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
- 5 Reasons to Welcome Big Brother Into Your Car
- Would Iron Man buy rental car insurance
- The Truth Will Set You (Hands) Free
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.