Dealer-related Information in Virginia
In 1995, Virginia's General Assembly adopted legislation to shift the regulation and oversight of new and used car and truck dealers to a professional body. Thus the Motor Vehicle Dealer Board (MVDB) was born. The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) still regulates and oversees dealers of motorcycles, trailers, and recreational vehicles.
If you sell cars or trucks and one of the other types of vehicles, you can renew your license through the MVDB as a convenience. You do not need to deal with both agencies to do this.
The MVDB has a wealth of information for car and truck dealers. The site includes a history of the board, explains its purpose, and lists licensing requirements for dealer-operators and salespeople.
It describes in detail the advertising code and regulations, as well as procedures for dealers to register and title cars and trucks in Virginia. While much of this information overlaps info that is also on the DMV web site, the MVDB site has enough unique info to make it worth a visit. It even lists some information for the general public.
Here is a taste of some of the information dealers or dealers-to-be can get from the MVDB:
- Licensing Process : How to become an auto dealer or salesperson.
- Dealer Talk : Newsletter back issues.
- Dealer and Salesperson Study Guide: Download this PDF to help you pass the licensing exam.
- Advertising : Dealer advertising guidelines.
If you are interested in becoming a car or truck dealer or salesperson, you can contact the MVDB with further questions:
- Motor Vehicle Dealer Board
- 2201 West Broad St., Suite 104
- Richmond, VA 23220
- Tel: (804) 367-1100; fax: (804) 367-1053
If you want to become a motorcycle, trailer, or RV dealer or salesperson, you can contact the DMV with questions:
Other Topics in This Section
- Department of Motor Vehicles
- Dealer Services Division
- P.O. Box 27412
- Richmond, VA 23269
- (804) 367-1680 or (804) 367-0901