- Location: Virginia
Boat Registration and Licenses in VirginiaGet Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:Page Overview
All motorized boats.
What Not to Register
- Non-motorized canoe.
- Non-motorized rowboat.
- Non-motorized kayak.
- Boats only used on private waters.
- A boat registered in another state that's not kept in Virginia for more than 90 consecutive days.
The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (DGIF) administers boat and personal watercraft registration.
Registering a New Boat
- Complete an http://www.dgif.state.va.us/forms/BOAT/BOAT-011.pdfApplication for Watercraft Certificate of Title and Certificate of Number (Registration) (Form BRT 08/02).
- Collect an Original Manufacturer's or Importer's Certificate of Origin, with the "First Assignment" section completed by the dealer.
- Collect a sales invoice showing gross purchase price of the boat and motor separate from the trailer, and any sales tax paid.
- Mail to the address on the application.
Registering a Used Boat
Detailed instructions for every situation (registered in another state, titled in Virginia, titled by someone else in another state, etc.) can be found on the application for Application for Watercraft Certificate of Title and Certificate of Number (Registration) (Form BRT 08/02).
Registration fees are based on the length of your boat.
- Less than 16 ft: $27
- 16 to 20 ft: $31
- 20 ft to 40 ft: $37
- 40 ft and longer: $45
- Livery of up to 10 boats: $27
- Livery of over 10 boats: $21
- Duplicate registration certificate: $9
- Duplicate decal: $9
Boat registrations are valid for 3 years.
Renew online using Visa or MasterCard.
Renew by Mail
Mail to the address on your renewal notice. Or, if you did not receive a renewal notice, complete a Application for Watercraft Certificate of Title and Certificate of Number (Registration) (Form BRT 08/02). and write "RENEWAL" in large letters at the top. Mail to the address on the form.
Renew in Person
Drop off your renewal notice at any DGIF location.
Replace Lost Registration
Complete a Duplicate Certificate of Number form and mail to the address on the application. Cost: $9
All boat operators 30 years old or younger must have a boating safety certificate. And all personal watercraft (PWC) operators must also taking a boating safety course, regardless of age.
Boater Safety Courses
- Online: Obtain a state-approved boating safety certificate through BOATERexam.com. Click its link below for immediate course information.
Other Topics in This Section
- Classroom: Courses are offered throughout the state.
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks