Bill of Sale Requirements in Virginia

Getting Started

When titling and registering your motor vehicle in Virginia, you will have to show proof of its purchase price. One reason is so the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) can calculate the 4.05% sales and use tax that you will owe. If you cannot provide proof of the price, and you owe taxes, you will be taxed according to the official NADA trade-in value.

When you buy your vehicle from a dealership, you should receive a receipt. The dealership might also handle your titling and registration, so you don't have to do this. But when purchasing your vehicle from an individual or if you do not get a receipt from your dealer, you need some sort of proof.

Necessary Forms

Proof of the purchase price may include a buyer's order, a bill of sale, or the sale price that the seller declares on the certificate of title. This is required if your vehicle was purchased from a private seller and the vehicle is 5 years old or older. You can use a handwritten statement as a bill of sale, as long as the seller and buyer both sign it. The DMV will also accept a Vehicle Price Certification (Bill of Sale) (Form SUT 1), signed by you and the seller.

Generic Bill of Sale

To assist you in finding a form, we provide links to generic forms from our sponsors.



Complete this form to verify the sale price of a vehicle so the buyer can title it.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Bill of Sale Requirements in Another State?