Traffic School in Utah
On this page you'll find an overview of Utah defensive driving courses, your reasons for taking a course, and where to look for more information about your specific circumstances.
Utah Traffic School Options
You may be able to take a Utah traffic school program to:
- Satisfy a court requirement or dismiss a traffic ticket.
- Earn a UT driving record point reduction.
- Earn a discount on your car insurance.
Depending on your reason for taking a course, you may have to options of choosing between classroom and online defensive driving courses.
For information about defensive driving courses available to you:
- Contact the Utah Department of Public Safety (DPS).
- Contact your court.
- Talk to you car insurance provider.
Reduce Driving Record Points With Utah Traffic School
When you violate traffic laws, the Utah DPS will add points to your driving record. Too many points can lead to a driver's license suspension as follows:
- If you are 21 years old or older, you will receive a driver's license suspension for 3 months to 1 year if you accumulate 200 points or more in 3 years.
- If you are younger than 21 years old, you will receive a driver's license suspension for 1 month to 1 year if you accumulate 70 points or more in 3 years.
For more information, see our Suspended License in Utah page.
If you are able to drive for 1 year without committing a traffic violation, the Utah DPS will remove half the points from your driving record total.
If you are able to drive for 2 successive years without any traffic offenses, the Utah DPS will remove all of your remaining driving record points.
All points associated with a traffic conviction will automatically be removed completely after 3 years.
Additionally, you can take a Utah defensive driving course once every 3 years to earn a deduction of 50 points from your driving record.
Contact the Utah Department of Public Safety (DPS) for details about approved driver improvement courses available to you.
Dismiss a Ticket with Traffic School in Utah
Depending on the severity of your traffic violation and your personal driving history, your court may allow you to take a Utah defensive driving course to dismiss a traffic ticket and avoid receiving the associated points.
If this option is available to you, you will likely receive details about:
- Your deadline for completing the course.
- Which Utah traffic school courses you may take.
- Any additional documents and fees you may need to submit.
For more information, please contact your court. For a complete list of contact information for the Utah courts, please visit the Utah court website.
Earn a Traffic School Car Insurance Discount in Utah
If you take Utah traffic school voluntarily, you may be eligible for a defensive driving discount with your car insurance company.
Car insurance providers often offer driver improvement and accident avoidance discounts to teens and older drivers, but drivers of all ages may qualify.
Contact your car insurance provider for more information. If you find your rates are too high and you cannot earn a discount, you should consider shopping around for a new carrier. Visit our Insurance Center to compare rates.
Utah Defensive Driving Course Details
Regardless of your reason for taking a Utah defensive driving course, you will likely cover topics such as:
- Utah traffic laws and violations.
- Alcohol/drug-related offenses.
- Defensive driving tips.
- Avoiding accidents.
- Developing safe driving behaviors.
You may need to pass a final exam before receiving your course completion documents.
Depending on your reason for taking the course, you may need to submit your defensive driving course completion certificate to:
- The Utah Department of Public Safety (DPS).
- Your court.
- Your car insurance provider.
For details about your specific requirements, please contact the appropriate agency.