Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Special Licenses in Utah

    Pass Your CDL Written Exam with
    DMV Cheatsheets!

    Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:

    • Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
    • Study When & Where You Want
    • 24/7 Online Access

    Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed.

    Special Driver's Licenses in Utah

    Certain types of vehicles and driving professions may require you to obtain a license or endorsement other than your noncommercial driver's license with the Utah Department of Public Safety (DPS).

    You'll likely need to:

    • Pass a knowledge test.
    • Pass a driving test in the type of vehicle you wish to drive.
    • Pay a licensing fee.

    On this page you'll find an overview of some of the classes and endorsements available in Utah.

    If you are looking for information about applying for a standard driver's license, please visit our pages on the following topics:

    Commercial Driver's Licenses in Utah

    You will need a commercial driver's license (CDL) if you:

    • Plan to transport 16 passengers or more, including yourself.
    • Plan to operate a vehicle with a GVWR over 26,001 lbs. or tow a trailer over 10,000 lbs.
    • Will be transporting any kind of hazardous materials.

    Depending on exactly what kind of work you do, you will get either a Class A, B, or C. For more information, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in Utah page.

    If you are just going to be driving around your family and friends in a personal vehicle, you don't need to get a CDL.

    Farmers don't need a Utah CDL either, as long as no one is hiring them for transport.

    Military personnel who operate this equipment as part of their duties also don't need a CDL.

    Utah School Buses and Passenger Transportation

    To drive a school bus in Utah, you'll need to get a Class C CDL with a school bus endorsement.

    For driving a bus with 16 passengers or more, you'll get a Class C CDL with a passenger endorsement. You may need to:

    • Pass a criminal background check.
    • Maintain a clean driving record.
    • Pass medical certification.

    For more information, please contact the Utah DMV.

    Most endorsements require special written tests. You may also have to take a behind-the-wheel exam.

    Plan for your testing to take more time than the standard written driver test.

    You can get these endorsements at many field offices; call ahead to make sure. The UT DMV will also provide you with any study material you may need.

    Utah Taxi Drivers and Chauffeurs

    Taxi cab drivers and chauffeurs require a Class D license with a Z endorsement. No CDL is needed. The endorsement costs $7. To get one, apply at a DMV field office. Additionally, you may need to:

    • Have clean criminal background.
    • Have a clean driving record.
    • Pass a medical test.

    Off-Highway Vehicles in Utah

    Off-highway vehicles, also called all-terrain vehicles, require a safety certification prior to use. Operators must have in hand either a motor vehicle operator's license or safety certificate while driving. The safety certification program is designed to develop and instill the knowledge, attitudes, habits, and skills necessary for the safe operation of an off-highway vehicle. In addition, the program provides off-highway vehicle information and safety advice to the public and the training of off-highway vehicle operators.

    Some vehicles may require you to hold a motorcycle license or endorsement. For more information, please visit our Motorcycle License in Utah page.

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.