Renewing Your CDL in Utah

Appear in Person

If you already have a Utah commercial driver license (CDL), renewing it with the Driver License Division of the Utah Department of Public Safety is in some ways a little like applying for a new one (without all the training and testing, of course).

According to federal regulations, you must appear in person at a Driver License Division office and:

  • Complete a renewal application form.
  • Provide proper identification.
  • Present a valid DOT medical certification or a Medical Examination Report (Form 649-F).
  • Pay a $40 fee plus $7 for each endorsement and/or $9.50 for a motorcycle endorsement.


If you wish to add endorsements to your license, you will need to complete the required training and take the appropriate endorsement tests when you apply for your renewal. Endorsement tests are $7 each; check with your Driver License Division office to see whether you need to make an appointment for the test.

Hazardous Materials

Just as hazardous materials get special treatment, so does the hazardous materials endorsement for your CDL. If you have a hazardous materials endorsement (or if you wish to add one), you will need to take the Hazardous Materials test and undergo a background check every time you renew.

If it's been 5 years since your last TSA background investigation, you'll need a new clearance. Begin this at the TSA website.

New Federal Requirements

You must self-certify your type of vehicle operation with the Utah DPS. This means you must self-certify one of the following driving categories:

  • Non-Excepted Interstate
  • Excepted Interstate
  • Non-Excepted Intrastate
  • Excepted Intrastate

If you choose Non-Excepted Interstate, you must, in addition to a completed self-certification Commercial Driver License Medical Self Certification (Form CDL 42) , provide the DPS with a federal medical certificate.

Check out Utah's Medical Card Requirements page for detailed information.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Renewing Your CDL in Another State?