- Location: Utah
Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in Utah
Compare Motorcycle Insurance Rates in 3 EASY STEPS
Enter Your Zip Code:
If your vehicle has:
- A motor with an engine displacement of more than 40 cubic centimeters
- Two wheels
and you want to drive it on public roads, you'll need a motorcycle license. This includes scooters (like Vespas).
NOTE: Mopeds do not require a motorcycle license.
Title & Registration
NOTE: A moped does not require registration, unless it has a 50 cc engine or larger.
Riders under the age of 18 must wear helmets. Of course, to prevent your head from splattering like an old Halloween pumpkin all over the road, it's highly recommended that you wear one, no matter how old you are.
Motor-assisted scooters are usually used by teens and children. Rules are a bit different for these. The state defines a motor-assisted scooter as a self-propelled vehicle that has:
- At least two wheels on the ground
- A braking system
- A maximum engine displacement of 40 cubic centimeters
- Either a deck designed to stand on, or a seat designed for a person to sit, straddle, or stand on while operating the vehicle
- Been designed to be capable of being propelled by human power alone
You don't need a motorcycle license to operate a motor-assisted scooter, but you're limited to driving on roads with a maximum speed of 25 mph. All riders under 18 must wear a helmet.
You don't need to register or title these scooters.
If you're under 15 and driving while using the motor, you must be under the "direct supervision" of your parent or legal guardian. What does that mean? It's defined as overseeing the rider at a distance at which contact is maintained and advice and assistance can be given and received.
If you're under eight, you can't ride your scooter while using the motor on any public property, highway, path, or sidewalk.
In addition, each county may have its own additional rules regarding these vehicles, so it wouldn't hurt to check with local law enforcement before taking it out on the road.Articles
- 5 Important Steps If You Lost Your Drivers License
- I-94 Forms and Arriving in the U.S.
- What to do if the Colorado Floods Damaged Your Car
- 9 Urgent Must-Dos If You Lose Your Driver’s License
- 7 Reasons Student Drivers Fail Their Written Permit Exam
- Werner Herzog’s Texting-and-Driving Documentary Slated to Hit Hard