Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Special Vehicles in Utah

    Utah Special Vehicles

    In Utah, if you may be required to register and title your special vehicle, including snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), trailers, and other types of off-highway vehicles (OHVs). As a general rule, if you're planning on operating your OHV on any public land or road in Utah, it MUST be registered.

    The steps you need to take vary depending on the kind of vehicle you have. Either way, you'll need to visit your local Utah Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office to start the process.

    You may also wish to view some of our other pages on registering and titling vehicles:

    Off-Road Vehicles, Snowmobiles, and ATVs

    Both snowmobiles and ATVs are classified by Utah state law as "off-highway vehicles" (OHVs). All OHVs used on the state's public lands or roads must be registered and titled if you're a Utah resident.

    To title and register your OHV, just follow the procedures outlined for cars or motorcycles. Your registration will cost $21 (which goes towards programs related to OHV sports). For more information, visit the Utah State Parks and Recreation website.

    NOTE: If you're using your OHV for agricultural or farming purposes only (and not on public property or roads), you can apply for an "implement of husbandry" sticker instead of registration stickers.

    Place your snowmobile registration decal on the left side of the hood, pan, or tunnel. For ATVs, place a sticker on the rear of the vehicle.

    Other OHV Rules

    Be aware that all OHV riders younger than 18 years old must wear a helmet.

    Also, you may only ride your OHV on private land when you have the land owner's permission.

    The Utah Department of Natural Resources offers more information on the subject of OHVs.

    Non-Utah Residents

    If you're from out of state and wish to ride your off-road vehicle while you're in Utah temporarily, you'll need to first obtain a non-resident permit. You can apply for a permit either in person, online, or by mail.

    To apply in person, you'll need to visit a UT DMV office with:

    • Proof of your out-of-state residency.
    • Proof that the OHV is not owned by a Utah resident.
    • Payment for the fee (varies depending on the age of your vehicle).
      • Depending on which state you live in, the fee may be waived.

    To apply for a non-resident permit online, fill out the form on the Utah State Parks and Recreation website.

    To apply by mail, complete a Non-Resident Off Highway Vehicle User Permit Application and Affidavit and return it to:

    Utah Division of Parks and Recreation
    Non-resident OHV User Permits
    1594 West North Temple, Suite 116
    P.O. Box 146001
    Salt Lake City, UT 84114

    You can also email this form to

    Trailers in Utah

    Only trailers that weigh over 750 lbs. have to be titled and registered with the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). It's still a good idea to register any trailer, in case of theft or loss.

    Simply go to your local UT DMV office with your title and vehicle identification number (VIN). If you need a new title, you'll also have to fill out the Vehicle Application for Utah Title (Form TC-656).

    Trailer Registration Fees

    Registration fees depend on how old your trailer is. A title costs $6.

    Utah RVs and Motorhomes

    If you have a recreational vehicle (RV) or motorhome, you'll need to have it registered and titled much the same way as a standard automobile. Follow the steps outlined on our Register Car in Utah page and contact the Utah DMV for more information.

    Scooters and Mopeds

    Most motor-driven cycles must be registered in Utah using the same process as registering a motorcycle. Motor-driven cycles are cycles or scooters that have engines less than 150 cc OR a motor of up to 5 hp.

    Mopeds and electric bicycles may need to be registered depending on their size and speed. Contact the UT DMV at (800) 368-8824 (DMV-UTAH) for more information.

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.