Lost Traffic Ticket in Utah

SUMMARY: How to Find Lost Traffic Ticket Information in Utah

If you need to find traffic citation information, contact the appropriate county court for details about your lost traffic ticket.

Be sure to ask about your ticket fines, payment deadlines, court date (if applicable), and acceptable payment methods.

The information found on this page relates to a lost traffic ticket that was issued due to a moving traffic violation in Utah. A moving violation can result in a red light ticket, a speeding ticket, or an unsafe lane change ticket, just to name a few. The info you'll read below may also apply to a lost parking ticket, but it's best to check with your local traffic court to make sure.

Most Utah counties don't offer an online search option to find tickets, but some counties and cities might. For example, if you were ticketed in Salt Lake City, you can search for lost tickets using your license plate or driver's license number. Otherwise, keep reading below for tips on how to track down your Utah citation for your traffic violation.

Determine Where You Were Ticketed

If you can't find ticket information, but you can recall where you received your UT traffic ticket, you can search the Utah City and County page on the state's website.

NOTE: It might also help to contact the issuing law enforcement agency; only the Utah Highway Patrol (UHP), county sheriffs' offices, and municipal police departments can issue traffic citations in Utah. If you were ticketed by an agent of the UHP, use its online local office finder to track down the UT office handling your lost traffic ticket.

Visit the Utah County Court Website

From the above-mentioned state site, you'll find a list of local government pages. Once you narrow down the location, look for links to something like a police or sheriff's department. Again, if UHP issued your UT traffic ticket for your traffic violation, you'll need to locate the specific UHP office separately to find lost ticket information.

Decide How You'll Plead to Your UT Ticket

Once you get a hold of your lost ticket information, you can plead one of two ways:

A "guilty" plea for your moving violation requires you to pay the traffic ticket fines listed on your Utah traffic citation. You could also face additional points on your driving record. For more on this, check out our page on paying your Utah traffic ticket. Your other option is to plead "not guilty" and dispute the charges in court. If you choose this option, you may want to consider hiring a traffic ticket attorney in Utah.

There's also an option to take a justice court decision one step further by appealing your traffic violation. For more on these options, visit our page on Fighting Your UT Traffic Ticket.

Remember, a lost traffic ticket is not a valid excuse for missing your deadline date to respond to your traffic citation. Be sure to find ticket information as soon as you've lost your traffic citation and ask for information on how to plead.

Pay Ticket
(Plead Guilty)

  • Pay the fine online or in court.
  • Option to plea bargain penalties.
  • Incur points on your driving record (could lead to license suspension/revocation).
  • Possibly incur increase on auto insurance rates.
  • Option to take defensive driving course to reduce points on driving record.

Learn more about
Paying your Traffic Ticket »

Fight Ticket
(Plead Not Guilty)

  • Contest traffic violation in court.
  • Choose to represent yourself during trial or hire an attorney.
  • Possibly lose option to plea bargain for lesser penalties.
  • No penalties if found not guilty, but must pay court/attorney fees.

Learn more about
Fighting your Traffic Ticket »

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Lost Traffic Ticket in Another State?