Identification Cards in UtahPage Overview
Continue reading this page to learn how to apply for a non-driver ID card from the Utah Department of Public Safety (DPS).
Visit your local Utah Department of Public Safety Driver License Division office in person and:
- Complete an ID card application (Form DLD6A).
- Provide proof of your identity/legal presence with documents such as your:
- Valid U.S. passport.
- U.S. birth certificate.
- Provide proof of your Social Security number with documents such as a:
- Social Security card.
- W-2 form.
- 1099 form.
- Provide 2 documents that prove your Utah residency, with documents including:
- Bank statements.
- Rental agreements.
- Court documents.
- Provide proof of your name change (if applicable), such as your:
- Marriage certificate.
- Divorce papers.
- Pay the $18 fee, or $13 if you have a disability.
- Have your photo taken.
A parent or guardian must sign your application if you are under 16 years old.
For a complete list of acceptable identification documents, please visit the Utah website.
You'll receive a temporary identification card after you apply. Your permanent Utah ID card will be mailed within 6 weeks of your application. Utah identification cards are valid for 5 years.
NOTE: If you must surrender your driver's license due to age or medical reasons, you're eligible for a free ID card.
- Original, renewals: $18.
- If you aren't able to drive due to your age or medical reason, your ID card will be free.
- Originals and renewals for people with a disability: $13.
- Replacements: $18.
Utah identification cards can be renewed online or in person and are valid for 5 years at a time.
There is an $18 fee to renew a photo ID. People with disabilities are charged $13 to renew their ID card.
NOTE: To renew your ID card online, you must have already verified your identity with the Utah Department of Public Safety (DPS).
Online ID Card Renewal
If you are eligible to renew your ID card online, the Utah DMV will mail you a renewal notice and an online PIN.
To renew your identification card online, you'll need to:
- Visit the online renewal system on the Utah DPS website.
- Enter your:
- ID card number
- Issue date.
- Renewal PIN.
- Pay your renewal fee.
ID Renewal In Person
To renew your identification card in person, visit your local UT DMV office and:
- Complete the ID card application (Form DLD6A).
- Provide proof of your identification, residency, and Social Security number. (See above).
- Pay your renewal fee.
If your identification card has been lost, stolen, or damaged, you can apply for a duplicate ID.
To replace your ID card, visit any Utah DMV office with:
- Proper identification, residency, and Social Security documents. (See above.)
- A completed ID card application (Form DLD6A), if necessary.
- Payment for the $18 fee.
NOTE: You cannot apply for a replacement Utah ID card by mail or online.
If you move and change your address, you must notify the Utah DMV within 10 days. Address changes can be made online or at any Utah driver’s license office.
To change your address online, please visit the Utah DMV website.
To change your name from what's listed on your current ID, you must visit a UT DPS office in person and show proof of your name change.
For more information, please visit following pages:Recommended ArticlesOther Topics in This Section