DPS Driver Handbook in Utah
The Utah Department of Public Safety (DPS) Driver License Division has various manuals available online such as the UT driver's handbook, commercial driver's manual, and motorcycle license manual. Also available online is the Utah Vehicle Code.
For links to the DMV handbooks and driving manuals available in Utah, continue reading this page.
Utah Driver's Manual
Reading the Utah Driver Handbook (Form DLD-42) can help you learn how to drive safely and you're your driver's license exams. In the drivers manual, you'll learn about the following topics and more:
- How to get a UT driver's license.
- Rules of the road.
- Traffic signs, signals, and road markings.
- Driver's license revocations and suspensions in Utah.
- Driving record points.
- Vehicle registration and inspection requirements.
- Recreational vehicles (RVs) and other large vehicles.
- Defensive driving courses.
NOTE: The driving manual is also available in Spanish.
In addition to reading the UT dmv handbook, we suggest preparing for the written exam with an online practice test.
Commercial Driver's Manual
If you're interested in applying for a UT commercial driver's license (CDL), you'll need to study the Utah Commercial Driver's License Handbook (REV 2014). Topics in the driving manual include the following:
- Obtaining a commercial driver's license (CDL).
- Transporting cargo and passengers safely.
- Air brakes.
- Combination vehicles.
- Tank vehicles.
- Hazardous materials vehicles.
- How to pass a your CDL knowledge and driving exams.
The Utah CDL DMV handbook also includes some sample questions to help you prepare for your written knowledge exam. For additional study questions, test your knowledge with an online CDL practice test.
Motorcycle Operator Manual
To learn how to operate your motorcycle safely in Utah, read the Motorcycle Operator Manual (REV 2009). You'll find information about the following subjects in the motorcycle driver's manual:
- Wearing the proper safety gear.
- Basic vehicle control and keeping your distance.
- Braking, turning, and shifting gears.
- Carrying passengers and cargo.
- Avoiding motorcycle crashes.
The motorcycle DMV manual also includes a few sample questions to help you study for the written exam. You can also take an online motorcycle practice test to make sure you're ready.
Other Utah Vehicle Manuals
In addition to driving manuals in Utah, you can also download the following drivers handbooks:
- How to Register and Title Your Vehicle in Utah (Pub 9).
- Requirements for Obtaining a Motor Vehicle Dealer License in Utah (Form TC-300).
Vehicle Code in UT
The Utah Vehicle Code outlines all laws related to UT driver's licenses, vehicle registration and titles, UT traffic violations, and more. Along with the DMV handbooks and manuals available, you should have plenty of resources regarding driving rules in UT.