Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Disability Plates and Placards in Utah

    UT Disability Plates and Placards
    Page Overview

    Verified As Of: 05/18/2015

    Our goal is to give you the most up-to-date, accurate information about your state DMV's processes. The date you see here reflects the most recent time we've verified this information with your state DMV. When they change something, we do, too!

    SUMMARY: Utah Disability Placards & License Plates

    The Utah Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) issues these disabled parking permits to those with qualifying disabilities. Find details about the placards and license plates issued for disability parking, including how to apply for handicapped placards and plates, how to renew your disability permits, and how to replace disability placards or plates if they are lost or stolen.

    If you live in Utah and you have a disability, you may be eligible to apply for a handicapped parking placard or license plate.

    Types of Utah Disability Permits

    If you have a disability, Utah offers parking placards and license plates that allow you to park in parking spots designated for people with a disability.

    The Utah DMV offers the following handicapped placard and plate options:

    • Temporary placard.
    • Permanent placard.
    • Permanent license plate.
    • Institutional permanent placard for organizations that regularly transport people with disabilities.

    Utah Visitors with Disabilities

    If you are traveling to Utah from another state, you DO NOT need to get a UT handicapped placard or license plate for your visit.

    The state recognizes all disability placards and plates issued by all other states.

    Disability Parking Rules

    When you use your disability parking placard or license plate, be aware that you CANNOT park in zones designated for emergency vehicles and only you can use your disability license plate or placard.

    Apply for Disabled Parking in Utah

    You can apply for disability placards or license plates from the UT DMV either by mail or in person.

    To apply, you will need:

    • The Disabled Person and Physician Disability Certification (Form TC-842).
      • For individuals: Your physician must complete the certification section on the form.
      • For organizations: You must complete the care facility certification section.
    • Payment for the applicable fees:
      • Placards: free.
      • License plates: $15.
        • Add $3 for shipping if you are applying by mail.

    Submit your application in person at your local Utah DMV office or by mail to:

    Division of Motor Vehicles
    Mail and Correspondence
    P.O. Box 30412
    Salt Lake City, UT 84130

    Renew Your Disability Placard/Plate

    Once your disability placard expires, you must re-apply or renew your existing placard to continue using it.

    Temporary placards are valid for up to 6 months. They CANNOT be renewed. If you continue to need your temporary placard once it's expired, you must apply for a new one. See “Apply for Disability Parking in Utah" above for more details.

    Permanent placards are valid for 2 years. You DO NOT need a new physician's certification for renewal. Contact your local Utah DMV office for specific renewal instructions.

    To renew a handicap license plate, you can simply renew your vehicle registration when it's due.

    Replace Your UT Disability Permits

    If your placard has been lost, stolen, or damaged, you can replace it by:

    • Completing the Disabled Person and Physician Disability Certification (Form TC-842).
      • You DO NOT need a new physician's certification.
      • You DO need the number of your lost or stolen disability placard or plate.
    • Paying the $15 fee, if you're replacing a lost or stolen license plate.

    Submit the completed application form and payment (if applicable) in person to your local Utah DMV branch office or by mail to:

    Division of Motor Vehicles
    Mail and Correspondence
    P.O. Box 30412
    Salt Lake City, UT 84130

    Related Content

    Provide Feedback

Looking for Disability Plates and Placards in Another State?