Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Custom Built Car Registration in Utah

    Registering a car?

    It's a good time to check car insurance rates

    Find the lowest rate among top providers.

    UT Custom Built Car Registration

    Building your own vehicle or trailer can make the registration process more convoluted than usual―if that's possible. Hopefully you found this Web page before you began your do-it-yourself project, because when it comes time to register your masterpiece, the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will ask you to provide not only the details of when you built it and from what, but also original bills of sale for all the components. Not having this documentation will complicate the registration process and might even give the DMV cause to reject your application.

    Utah defines a "specially constructed vehicle" as every type of vehicle that is normally required to be registered but that is not originally constructed under a distinctive name, make, model, or type by a generally recognized manufacturer of vehicles, or else one that was materially altered from its original construction.

    Titling and registering such a vehicle is nothing at all like registering an ordinary car or truck. It is so different, in fact, that the DMV itself acknowledges that successfully registering a specially constructed vehicle might require more than one visit to the DMV.

    To title and register your unique vehicle, you should stock up on patience and provide the following to a local DMV office:

    1. A completed Statement of Facts (Form TC-569D). On this form, you must explain how you acquired the essential parts, describe the construction of the vehicle, and give the completion date.
    2. Bills of sale for essential parts such as the frame and body. If you don't have the bills of sale, you will need to explain why not in detail on the Ownership Statement, and you might be required to post a bond.
    3. Bills of sale and receipts for other parts used in construction of the vehicle.
    4. Completed Application for Utah Motor Vehicle Identification Number (Form TC-162), and Vehicle Application for Utah Title (Form TC-656).
    5. A photo of the vehicle. Alternatively, you may bring the vehicle to the local DMV office for a visual inspection.
    6. Safety and emissions inspection certificates, if applicable. Vehicles with 1967 or older engines don't need an emissions test, but you'll need a waiver from the local county emissions office if you live in a county that normally requires this test.
    7. Sales tax on any parts you haven't already paid sales tax on.
    8. Registration and titling fees.

    If the DMV decides you've met all the requirements, it will issue you a Utah Official ID number (a VIN) that you will affix to the vehicle and have inspected by a police officer, motor vehicle examining officer, or certified safety inspector. The title and registration will list your creation as "SPCN," or specially constructed, and the year you completed construction will be the year of the vehicle.

    The Utah DMV has a Web page for rebuilt and kit vehicles that has more information about specially constructed vehicles, reconstructed vehicles, and kit vehicles.

    Also find general registration and titling information on this site.