Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Paperwork When Selling a Car in Utah

    Compare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps

    1. Enter Your Zip:

    Selling Your Car

    When it's time to part ways with your vehicle, sign the title over to the new owner. Also give the current registration certificate, current safety and emissions certificates, and completed and signed Bill of Sale (Form TC-843).

    Then, take the license plates off the car so you're not liable for any parking or traffic tickets. The new owner is responsible for getting a new title, a new registration, and new plates.

    Selling Without a Title

    You are required to hand over a legitimate title to the buyer within 48 hours of the transaction, so before you even get started, make sure you have your paperwork in order. If you've lost the title, or it has been mutilated, submit an Application for Utah Duplicate Title (Form TC-123) to get a replacement.

    Selling Without a Registration

    If you've let your registration lapse, you might have some fees or fines to take care of. Remember, as long as the vehicle is in your possession, you're responsible for keeping it legal. Just because you sell your car, you are not exempt from violations that occurred while you owned it.

    Notice of Transfer and Liability Requirements

    You must notify the DMV, in writing, of your vehicle being sold. Include:

    • The vehicle's make and year
    • Plate or vehicle identification number
    • Your signature

    You can send by fax at (801) 297-3570. Or, if you prefer, mail to:

    • Division of Motor Vehicles
    • Suspended Transaction Unit
    • P.O. Box 30412
    • Salt Lake City, Utah 84130

    Bill of Sale

    The buyer will need a completed bill of sale. You can conveniently download a copy of this document from our Bill of Sale page.

    True or False

    Doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save your life if they know you’re an organ donor.

    True False


    Every doctors first priority is to save your life regardless of your organ donation status.

    More about Organ Donation ▸ Become an Organ Donor ▸