Boat Registration and Licenses in Utah
Get Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:
Sailboats and any vessel equipped with a motor.
What Not to Register
- Boats registered in other states and kept in Utah for no more than 60 consecutive days.
- Ships' lifeboats.
Visit your nearest Division of Motor Vehicle (DMV) office with the following:
- Validated tax certificate from the county assessor (this proves that you have paid the uniform age-based fee).
- Proof of ownership (bill of sale) if you're titling for the first time.
- Cash or check to pay all applicable fees.
All motorboats, sailboats and jet skis that are 1985 or newer must also be titled.
All boat registrations are valid for one year based upon when you registered.
You may renew online using the PIN found on your renewal notice.
Renew by Mail
Mail to the address printed on your renewal notice.
Renew in Person
Visit any DMV office with your renewal notice, or, if you did not receive one, with your old registration.
Replace Lost Registration
Visit any DMV office. Cost: $4
Operators between the ages of 12 through 17 must pass Utah's Personal Watercraft Education course in order to legally operate a boat.
- Online: State-approved BoaterExam.com.
- Classroom: Taught throughout the state. For locations and dates, call (801) 538-2628.
To enroll in a class, you will need to complete a Personal Watercraft Education registration form.
Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- How to Replace Lost Boat or RV Registration
- Which Vessels Require Boat Registration?
- 7 Boating Safety Tips for Staying Safe on the Water
- Boat Safety Course: Learn Boating Basics
- Boat License Requirements: Learn How to Apply for Your Boat License
- Boat Registration Requirements: How to Register Your Vessel
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.