511 Traffic Systems in Texas
511 is the federally-backed telephone number that provides detailed traffic information for each state that is part of the service. The idea behind the number is simple: to aid travelers and shippers in saving time and money on the road and helping keep people on the road safe. Plus, having one number apply to each state saves divers the hassle of having to look up different digits each time they cross a state border.
Unfortunately, at this time, Texas has yet to plug into the program. However, the state has received federal funding and is studying the feasibility of implementing the program. Thus, it may be only a matter of time before checking out what is ahead on the roads of Texas is as easy as dialing 511.
But if you're planning a road trip, be sure to check which states have 511. By either dialing 511 or using the state's website, you'll plug into all kinds of information. States sometimes include lots of extras, like train and bus schedules, visitor information, and more.Other Topics in This Section
Be a Hero
- Traffic Alerts
- 511 Traffic Systems
- Tire Recalls
- Safety Laws
- How Emotions Affect Driving
- Driving in Hazardous Conditions
- Teen Drivers: A Beginner's Guide
- Seniors: When To Turn Over The Car Keys
- Packing Your First-Aid Kit
- Seven Senior Safety Suggestions
- Wildlife on the Road
- When to Call Wildlife Rescue
- Taking A Mature Driver Course
- Medications & Driving
- Night Driving
- Hallucinations on the Road
- How To Drive Distraction Free
- Road Rage: How To Deal With It
heroes have registered as organ donors.