Traffic Ticket Attorneys in Texas
Do you know how to handle a traffic ticket? It might seem best to pay it, but understand that by doing so, you're pleading guilty to the charges against you and accepting a conviction. To avoid a conviction, you can hire a traffic ticket lawyer. To find the best one, follow our tips for hiring a traffic ticket attorney.
NOTE: The content of this website is intended solely for informational purposes. It is not a source of legal advice and should not be used as such.
With heavy fines and additional repercussions associated with traffic tickets, you should consider fighting your ticket with the help a traffic ticket attorney.
An experienced traffic ticket attorney in Texas can represent you in court and help you:
- Avoid fines or have them lowered.
- Get your charges dropped or reduced.
- Avoid points on your driving record.
- Avoid suspension of your driver's license.
- Avoid an increase in your car insurance.
To get a better understanding of the necessity of hiring a traffic attorney, you should understand the true consequences of traffic violation convictions.
In Texas, a traffic violation conviction can lead to:
- Points and surcharges.
- Driver's license suspension or revocation.
- Increases in your auto insurance rates.
Points and Surcharges
Points are added to your driving record for each traffic conviction.
You can be charged a surcharge for points every year if you have accumulated 6 points or more.
Under the Texas Driver Responsibility Program (DRP), traffic violation convictions can lead to surcharge penalties that are separate from any court-ordered penalties.
Surcharges can be assessed based on points on your driving record. Additionally, certain convictions can lead to a surcharge regardless of points.
The cost for point-based surcharges is:
- $100 for the first 6 points.
- $25 for each additional point.
You may incur automatic surcharges for conviction of the following violations:
- Driving without car insurance.
- Driving without a driver's license.
You can learn more about the Texas DRP by reading our DMV Point System in Texas page.
Driver's License Suspension
Traffic violation convictions can also lead to the suspension or revocation of your driver's license.
Some serious violations, such as DWI, will lead to the automatic suspension of your driver's license. Additionally, being convicted of multiple minor violations can also lead to a license suspension.
Your traffic ticket attorney will work to help you keep your license valid.
Car Insurance Rates
While you may know a ticket can lead to an increase in car insurance rates, you may not realize just how big that increase is.
Just one violation on your driving record can increase your auto insurance rates by hundreds of dollars per year.
The relatively affordable price of a traffic ticket attorney can offset the savings on your car insurance premium, if you win your case.
If you have decided that you want to fight your traffic ticket with the assistance of a traffic ticket lawyer, your next step will be finding a traffic ticket attorney.
Use these following tips to help guide you as you begin searching for an attorney:
- Stay local – The experience you attorney has with the local court system can be invaluable to your case.
- Shop around – Interview attorneys until you find one you like.
- Find someone you can trust – A lot is riding on your traffic ticket attorney. Make sure you hire someone with whom you can feel comfortable.