Special Licenses in Texas

Pass Your CDL Written Exam with
DMV Cheatsheets!

Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:

  • Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
  • Study When & Where You Want
  • 24/7 Online Access

Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed.

Texas Special Driver's Licenses

The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) offers special license classes and endorsements for specific types of vehicles and driving professions/activities.

The application process for each license class/endorsement is similar to that of your regular driver's license. You'll likely need to:

  • Pass a knowledge test.
  • Take a driving test in the type of vehicle you want to drive.
  • Pay a new licensing fee.

If you are looking for information about applying for a regular driver's license, please visit our pages on the following topics:

Texas Commercial Driver's License

For some vehicles and driving professions, you may need to obtain a commercial driver's license (CDL) with a special endorsement. Depending on the class of your CDL and the endorsements you hold, you'll be able to:

  • Drive heavy-weight vehicles.
  • Transport hazardous materials.
  • Drive vehicles designed to carry a large number of passengers.

For more information about obtaining a commercial driver's license, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in Texas page.

School Bus Drivers in Texas

To operate a school bus in Texas, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Have a commercial driver's license (CDL) along with school bus and passenger endorsements.
  • Pass annual physical fitness and mental health exams.
  • Pass a background check on your driving record.
  • Pass a background check on your criminal record.
  • Own a certificate proving that you're either enrolled in or have successfully completed a course in school bus safety education.

For more information, please contact the Texas DPS.

Shuttle Drivers

A CDL is not required if the shuttle van or bus you're operating is designed for less than the commercial vehicle passenger ratings. Some shuttle vehicles may require a CDL.

Taxi Drivers in Texas

Taxi license requirements vary with each town and city in Texas. Check with your municipal government. Usually a city or town clerk handles the licensing, but in some districts, local police departments oversee the processing. You may need to:

  • Become trained and certified as a taxi driver.
  • Have a clean criminal and driving record.
  • Pay a taxi licensing fee.


There is no statewide chauffeur license code to follow. Like taxis, chauffeur driver's licenses vary with each district. Some may not require a special license, whereas other districts, such as Houston, mandate strict requirements. Check with your local TX government for more information.

Sport Vehicles in Texas

While many sport and off-road vehicles don't require a special license or endorsement, you may have to meet certain age and safety class requirements. Some vehicles may require you to hold a motorcycle license or endorsement. For more information, please visit our Motorcycle License in Texas page.

All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV)

To operate an ATV in Texas, the following may apply:

  • If you're younger than 14 years old, you must be supervised by your parent or guardian.
  • When riding on public land, you must carry an ATV safety course certificate. If you're a younger operator, you don't need to meet this requirement if you are riding with your parent who owns a safety certificate.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Be a Hero
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 0

heroes have registered as organ donors.

Looking for Special Licenses in Another State?