Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Special Vehicles in Texas

    Compare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps

    1. Enter Your Zip:

    Off-Highway Vehicle Registration in TX

    Low speed vehicles (LSV) and neighborhood electric vehicles (NEV) must be titled and registered to travel on Texas roads.

    A vehicle is classified as LSV or NEV if:

    • Its normal top speed is 25 mph for an LSV or 35 mph for an NEV.
    • It has all of the following equipment:
      ―Seat belts
      ―Turn signals
      ―Brake lights
      ―A 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN)

    To get your LSV or NEV titled and registered, visit your local county tax office with:

    • Proof of ownership (manufacturer's certificate of origin (MCO) or a current title from another state...).
    • A completed Application for Texas Certificate of Title (Form 130-U).
    • Proof of insurance.
    • Payment to cover all fees.

    Golf carts, ATVs, utility vehicles, and recreational off-highway vehicles (ROVs) are not normally allowed to be driven on public roads and therefore do not qualify to be registered. Some cities do allow for golf carts to travel on certain roads.

    Exceptions to Road Restrictions

    • Golf carts may be operated within a planned community that allows them to be driven within the neighborhood.
    • Farmers, ranchers, and their employees may operate an ATV, a utility vehicle, or an ROV on public roads within 25 miles of the farm they own or work on.

    Texas Registration for Trailers

    All non-farm trailers operating on public roads require registration. The exact requirements vary by trailer type and weight.

    Manufactured Trailers

    Trailers heavier than 4,000 lbs. (gross weight) must be titled.

    To get a title, visit your county tax office with:

    Farm Trailers

    Farm trailers do not have to be registered or titled unless excessively large.

    • Trailers under 4,000 lbs. are not required to be titled or registered.
    • Farm trailers weighing more than 4,000 lbs., but less than 34,000 lbs., are exempt from titling and qualify for farm trailer license plates (see below).
    • Trailers weighing more than 34,000 lbs. must be titled, registered, and display regular trailer license plates.

    Farm Trailer License Plates

    Farm trailers weighing more than 4,000 lbs. but less than 34,000 lbs. qualify for a farm trailer license plate if restricted to hauling agricultural products or livestock on Texas roads.

    Homemade Trailers

    Any trailer built by its owner is a homemade trailer. If the trailer exceeds 4,000 lbs. (gross weight), it must be titled, registered, and given a vehicle identification number (VIN).

    Trailers over 4,000 lbs.

    If your trailer requires registration, visit your local county tax office with:

    Trailers Under 4,000 lbs.

    Although registration is not required for trailers under 4,000 lbs., the Texas DMV recommends titling and registering the trailer, and applying for a VIN.

    Other Vehicles makes it easy for you to obtain registration and titling information on a wide variety of vehicles. Check out these special pages for more information:

    True or False

    Doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save your life if they know you’re an organ donor.

    True False


    Every doctors first priority is to save your life regardless of your organ donation status.

    More about Organ Donation ▸ Become an Organ Donor ▸