- Location: Texas
Boat Registration and Licenses in TexasGet Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:Page Overview
- Any motorized boat of any length.
- Any sailboat 14 feet or longer, and sailboats of any size if they carry an engine.
- U.S. Coast Guard documented vessels (previously exempt; registration required as of 2004).
What Not to Register
- Non-motorized canoes.
- Non-motorized kayaks.
- Non-motorized punts.
- Non-motorized rowboats.
- Non-motorized inflatable rafts.
- U.S. Coast Guard documented commercial vessels used in coastal shipping.
- U.S. Coast Guard documented USCG vessels exceeding 115 feet.
The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) registers boats.
New Boat Registration
Used Boat Not Registered or Titled With the TPWD
- A completed Vessel/Boat Application.
- A Verification of Vessel or Outboard Motor Serial Number.
- A bill of sale.
- An Affidavit of Fact.
For other specific transactions, visit The TPWD's Web page.
Registration fees are based on length:
- Less than 16 feet: $32
- Livery boat Less than 16 feet: $32
- 16 feet but less than 26 feet: $53
- 26 feet but less than 40 feet: $53
- 40 feet or more: $150
Boat registrations are valid for two years.
Renew online using Visa, Discover or MasterCard. Use the receipt as a temporary registration certificate (valid for up to 45 days) until your decals and permanent registration card arrive in the mail.
Renew by Mail
Mail the renewal notice or a Vessel/Boat Records Maintenance form or a renewal request letter to:
- 4200 Smith School Road
- Austin, Texas 78744
Renew in Person
Replace Lost Registration
Anyone born on or after September 1, 1993 must complete a certified boater safety course.
- Online: State-approved BOATERexam.com offers a convenient online class. Click its link below for immediate course information.
Other Topics in This Section
- Classroom: Courses are offered throughout Texas.
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
- How to Replace Lost Boat or RV Registration
- Which Vessels Require Boat Registration?
- 7 Boating Safety Tips for Staying Safe on the Water
- Boat Safety Course: Learn Boating Basics
- Boat License Requirements: Learn How to Apply for Your Boat License
- Boat Registration Requirements: How to Register Your Vessel