DMV Point System in TennesseeCompare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:Page Overview
Point systems are used to help monitor and correct drivers, identify habitual reckless or negligent drivers, and promote safety on the road. All drivers start out with clean driving records and accumulate points according to the severity of any traffic violations for which they may be convicted.
If you accumulate a certain number of points, your license could be suspended or revoked. Plus, many insurance companies raise rates for drivers with excessive points on their driving records, and many employers require clean driving records for employment.
- Tickets and court abstractions where the speed isn't indicated.
- Following other vehicles improperly.
- Contributing to an accident resulting in property damage.
- Others, such as improper vehicle control and failing to maintain control.
- Driving slower than the required minimum speed.
- Turning improperly.
- Contributing to an accident that results in bodily injury.
- Failing to report an accident.
- Passing improperly or where prohibited.
- Driving in the wrong direction or on the wrong side of the road.
- Failing to yield right of way.
- Leaving an accident scene that resulted in property damage.
- Violating driver license or certificate restrictions.
- Driving recklessly.
- Fleeing an officer.
- Contributing to an accident resulting in death.
- Causing reckless endangerment.
- Driving with a canceled license.
Tennessee has a comprehensive list ofviolations and point assignments.
If you receive 12 or more points in a 12-month period, you'll receive a proposed suspension notice, which means the Department of Safety (DOS) is proposing to suspend your license.
Before your license is suspended or revoked, you'll be granted an administrative hearing to contest the suspension or revocation and assess your future driving privileges.
Whenever you need or want to check the status of your driver’s license, you can order a driving record report. This record will spell out if your driver’s license is currently valid. Should your license have been revoked or suspended, the report will indicate that according to what’s on record at the DOS. This report will also show points against your license and, in some cases, information on any accidents you have had.True or False
Doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save your life if they know you’re an organ donor.