Pay Traffic Ticket in Tennessee
Unless you're required in court, you may be able to pay your TN traffic ticket fine online, by mail, or in person. Check your TN traffic ticket or contact the county court for payment instructions.
Keep reading to learn more about paying a traffic ticket in Tennessee.
(Plead Guilty or No Contest)
- Pay the fine.
- Option to plea bargain penalties.
- Incur points on your driving record (could lead to license suspension/revocation).
- Possibly incur increase on auto insurance rates.
- Possibly have points reduced by attending a defensive driving class.
Learn more by reading below.
Paying your TN traffic citation is an admission of guilt, which means:
- You are waiving your right to challenge the traffic ticket in court.
- The TN Department of Safety (DOS) will assign points to your driving record.
- Depending on your driving record, your TN driver's license may be suspended.
- You may see a jump in your car insurance premiums.
Pay the TN Ticket On Time
You must pay before the compliance date listed on the traffic citation. Failure to act will result in a default judgment, leading to possible suspension of your Tennessee driver's license and even a bench warrant being issued for your arrest.
Pleading Guilty as a Tennessee CDL Driver
In addition to paying the TN traffic ticket fine, you must also:
- Notify your employer within 30 days of the TN traffic violation conviction. This applies to all vehicles―including your home car―regardless of state.
- Notify, if applicable, your employer by the end of the next business day after you have your commercial driver's license (CDL) suspended, revoked, or cancelled.
Pleading Not Guilty
Bear in mind that you also have the option to challenge your TN traffic ticket before a judge. A strong defense could sway the court to reduce charges or dismiss the ticket outright.
Learn what steps to take on our Fight Traffic Ticket page.
Unless a mandatory court appearance is indicated on your TN traffic citation, you can pay the ticket fine any time before the due date.
Depending on the court, you will have all or some of the following payment options:
- By mail.
- In person.
Payment options will be explained on the traffic citation―including the website you must use for online payments.
Address questions to the Tennessee court listed on your traffic ticket.
Attending a court-approved defensive driving school will dismiss the traffic ticket, meaning no fine and no points on your TN driving record.
It's always wise to check your TN driving record for accuracy after paying a traffic ticket. Verify points and listed violations. Alert the TN DOS of any errors.
Increased car insurance rates usually follow traffic ticket convictions in Tennessee. Counter a rate hike by shopping online for a new auto insurance provider.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!