Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Special Vehicles in Tennessee

    Compare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps

    1. Enter Your Zip:

    Tennessee has plenty of terrain perfect for all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and snowmobiles and, if you're such an enthusiast, you'll probably want a utility trailer to help you haul them to your recreation destination.

    Of course, you'll also need to know how to title and register these vehicles and trailers.

    All-Terrain Vehicles

    Since you can't operate your ATV on public roads and highways, you don't have to register it. You do have to title it, though.

    To obtain the ATV title in your name, take the original title and the $21.50 fee to your local County Clerk's office. You may also need to pay additional "clerk's fees," so it's best to call ahead.

    After you get all the technical stuff taken care of, it's time to enjoy your ATV! Check out our special section on Fun with ATVs.


    You'll be pleased to find out you don't have to register or title a snowmobile in Tennessee. However, if you ever plan to sell your snowmobile, it's always nice to have proof that it's yours, i.e., you'll need a title.

    If you purchase your snowmobile from a dealership, you'll most likely receive a title in your name. If you purchase it from an individual, you may want to contact your local County Clerk's office to ask if they'll work out a way to issue the snowmobile a title in your name.

    Utility Trailers

    Utility trailers do not have to be registered, but you can get a license plate for your trailer for $12.25.

    Before you head out on the road, check out's article on How To Pull A Trailer.

    Low-Speed Vehicles

    A low-speed vehicle is defined as a vehicle with four wheels that has a capacity to run between 20 and 25 mph―for instance, an electric vehicle you can drive around in your neighborhood. The vehicle is allowed to be driven only on roads with a maximum speed limit of 35 mph or less.

    Low-speed vehicles must be titled and registered. You'll need to complete a Low Speed Vehicle Affidavit (Form RV-F1314301) and submit it, along with the required registration application and your ID, to your local County Clerk's office.

    Golf carts do not qualify as low-speed vehicles, and do not need to be titled or registered in Tennessee.

    Organ Donation Survey

    Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?

    Yes No

    Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.

    Update Your Organ
    Donor Information ▸