Motorcycle Manual in Tennessee
Compare Motorcycle Insurance Rates in 3 EASY STEPS
Enter Your Zip Code:
The Tennessee Department of Safety (DOS) provides a special manual by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) for motorcyclists. For your convenience, it's available for download in PDF format. You will need the free Adobe Reader software to download and read PDF files.
You can also pick up a copy of the manual at any driver license station.
The Motorcycle Manual covers a wealth of information. Below is an outline of the main areas for quick reference.
- Motorcycle only (Class M)
- Motorcycle-secondary (Class M)
- Motor-drive cycle (Class M-limited)
- Motorized bicycle (no endorsement required)
- Motorcycle learner's permit (Class P-M)
- For the driver (such as helmet and goggles)
- For the vehicle (such as windshield, headlights/taillights, handlebars, mirrors, footrests, and muffler)
- Identification requirements
- Laws and rights regarding the motorcycle
- The right gear
- Knowing the motorcycle
- Knowing rider responsibilities
- Vehicle control
- Interaction with other vehicles (as well as group riding)
- Dealing with mechanical problems
- Dealing with driving conditions (including surfaces and objects on the road)
- Knowledge test
- Road test (on the vehicle)
The manual also highlights the importance of professional training and provides information about the MSF, the services offered, and its contact information.Local Motorcycle Safety Course
Choose a County
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.