Custom Built Car Registration in TennesseeCompare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:
In order to register a custom-built car in Tennessee, you must comply with the regulations set forth by the Criminal Investigations Division (CID). The process can be the same as registering any other vehicle, or it can be more involved―it all depends on where the car was built.
If your car was custom-built out of state―good news. You'll only need to follow the same registration process as you would for any other vehicle brought to Tennessee.
If you custom-built the car in Tennessee, you'll need to take the following steps in order to get your vehicle registered:
- Visit the local county clerk's office to apply for a Rebuilt Title. You'll need to take your car's documentation with you, including all receipts for parts, whether used or new.
- The clerk will send the information to the Vehicle Services Section in Nashville.
- Once in Nashville, your documents will undergo a "paper inspection" to verify that standards are met.
- After your documents are verified, they'll be sent to a field investigator who'll inspect your vehicle to make sure all Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN) match.
- If everything matches, you'll be issued a Rebuilt Title.
For more information about reconstructed titles, contact any of the special agents listed at the Criminal Investigations Division (CID) website.Other Topics in This Section
Organ Donation Survey
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸