Car Insurance in Tennessee
1. FAST 2. COMPARE 3. $AVE Fill out a quote form about you and your vehicles Instantly get free quotes from top car insurance companies Choose from the lowest rate policies and save hundreds
Enter your Zip Code below to get a Free Quote. We suggest getting quotes from multiple companies to ensure you get the best rate. There is no obligation to purchase.
Tennessee Car Insurance
In Tennessee, you’re legally required to hold liability insurance in case you get into an accident. Note, however, that there are plenty of other options for insurance coverage you may consider for additional protection.
Read below to learn more about Tennessee's auto insurance requirements, options, rates, and discounts.
In Tennessee, you are required to carry liability insurance to cover injuries or damages you may cause to someone after a car accident.
The required minimum limits of your liability car insurance are:
- $25,000 for each injury or death per accident.
- $50,000 for total injuries or deaths per accident.
- $15,000 for property damage per accident.
Optional Car Insurance
If you wish to protect yourself beyond the required auto insurance minimums, you might want to consider purchasing optional types of car insurance.
Most Tennessee car insurance companies offer the following coverage options:
- Collision – Covers accident-related damages to your car.
- Comprehensive – Covers non-accident related damages to your car, such as those caused by weather or vandalism.
- Uninsured motorists – Helps cover costs associated with accidents with uninsured drivers or those with too little insurance.
- Medical payments – Helps pay for your medical bills after an accident.
- Rental car.
NOTE: If you have a car loan or lease, your lender may require you to have collision and comprehensive coverage.
Proof of Insurance
In Tennessee, you must provide proof of insurance when you are:
- Pulled over by a police officer.
- Involved in a car accident you are required to report. You must report accidents that involve:
- Any injuries.
- Over $400 in property damages.
You can report a car accident by completing the Owner/Driver Report (Form SF-0395) form and mailing it in to the Tennessee Department of Safety.
Legal proof of insurance includes:
- Your insurance ID card.
- Insurance binder.
- Policy declaration page.
You can obtain any of the above from your Tennessee car insurance provider. Remember to ask for new documents each time you renew your policy.
You do not need proof of insurance to register your car or to obtain your driver’s license.
Insurance Violation Penalties and Fines
If you are caught driving without car insurance or evidence of financial responsibility, you face a Class C misdemeanor, which could include:
- A fine of up to $100.
- Suspension of your driver’s license.
- A STOP on your car, keeping you from renewing your registration.
To have a STOP removed from your vehicle registration, you must:
- Have your driver’s license reinstated.
- If you have had your case dismissed by showing your proof of insurance before your court date, you must also send your proof of insurance to the DOS through one of the methods listed below.
By mail to:
Financial Responsibility Division
Tennessee Dept. of Safety
PO BOX 945
Nashville, TN 37202
By fax to: (615) 253-2094.
After any conviction leading to a suspension of your driver’s license, you are required to file an SR-22 proof on insurance with the TN Department of Safety.
Your car insurance carrier must file this on your behalf.
Your SR-22 can be filed for a total of 5 years; however, it may be canceled after 3 years IF you had no other suspensions requiring SR-22s.
Tennessee Automobile Insurance Plan
Drivers who have a poor driving record may be considered high-risk drivers and can be denied access to standard car insurance. Since all drivers must have liability car insurance, Tennessee laws provide an avenue that guarantees access to liability insurance.
If you’ve been denied by one or more insurance carriers, you can apply for an insurance policy through the Tennessee Automobile Insurance Plan (TAIP).
Every TN auto insurance carrier must participate in TAIP. The program allows all providers to share the risk associated with a high-risk driver’s policy.
Understand that buying your insurance through TAIP will be costly. Continue to shop around in the standard market for cheaper car insurance rates.
You can apply to TAIP through any TN car insurance company or agent.
Car Insurance Fraud in Tennessee
Car insurance companies lose significant amounts of money when dealing with insurance fraud. Those losses get passed down to you through higher insurance rates.
You can help keep car insurance premiums low by being vigilant and reporting fraud.
Examples of auto insurance fraud include:
- Staging car accidents.
- Falsifying injuries or severity of injuries.
- Falsifying needed car repairs.
If you suspect car insurance fraud, contact the Tennessee Insurance Division’s Fraud and Investigation department by calling (800) 792-7573.
Determining Your TN Insurance Rates
Several factors go into determining your auto insurance rates. These include:
- Driving record.
- Your car’s:
- This is the amount of your claim that you must pay.
- The higher your deductible, the lower your rate.
- Credit score.
Tennessee Car Insurance Discounts
When comparing car insurance quotes, don’t forget to ask about any auto insurance discounts you may be able to apply to your policy. Most Tennessee car insurance companies offer the following discounts:
- Good driver.
- Good student.
Discounts are a great way to lower your car insurance rates.
Combine discounts with a clean driving record that reflects safe driving practices, and you are well on your way to affordable car insurance rates.Choose a State:
Local Auto Insurance
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
Choose a County
Insurance Resource Center
- Shop For Insurance Online
- Insurance State Requirements
Auto Insurance Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Top Reasons To Buy Insurance Coverage
- Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Online Motorcycle Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims