Choose Your State
Your CDL may be suspended/disqualified by your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), Secretary of State (SOS), Department of Revenue (DOR), or Motor Vehicle Division (MVD).
Along with state regulations, your commercial driving privileges are federally regulated with penalties set forth by the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
Your CDL can be disqualified for reasons including:
- DUI/DWI convictions and refusing/failing a BAC test.
- Drug-related offenses.
- Violating an out-of-service order.
- Hit and runs.
- Using a vehicle to commit a felony.
- Negligent homicide involving a vehicle.
- Excessive speeding and reckless driving.
- Following too closely and making erratic lane changes.
- Driving without the proper endorsements.
- Violating railroad crossings.
The duration of your disqualification will vary depending on your offense. Some offenses and violations may lead to a lifetime disqualification of your CDL.
NOTE: Your commercial driver’s license can be disqualified for offenses committed in a noncommercial vehicle, and your noncommercial driving privileges can be suspended for CDL violations.
Find a commercial drivers license lawyer to help with your CDL DUI, suspended license or CDL disqualification.
To reinstate your commercial drivers license, your state may require you to:
- Wait-out the duration of your suspension/disqualification.
- Satisfy any court requirements, if applicable.
- Retake and pass the CDL driving skills and knowledge tests.
- Pay a reinstatement fee.
Our suspended CDL pages will help you:
- Learn about your disqualification/suspension.
- Request an administrative hearing with your state’s motor vehicle agency, if applicable.
- Reinstate your driving privileges.
Click your state below for information about your CDL disqualification duration and reinstatement requirements at your state’s DMV, SOS, DOR, or MVD.
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- Washington DC
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!