- Location: South Dakota
Suspended License in South DakotaPage Overview
South Dakota Driver License Suspension
The South Dakota Department of Public Safety (DPS) can suspend or revoke a driver license for a variety of reasons, including:
- Driving while intoxicated (DWI).
- Refusal to submit to a drug or alcohol test when asked by a police officer.
- Accumulating too many points on your driving record:
- 15 points in 12 months.
- 22 points in 24 months.
- Not having South Dakota auto insurance.
When you lose your license in SD, you will NOT be allowed to drive until you satisfy all requirements to get your license back.
Depending on your specific circumstances, the South Dakota DPS can choose to either suspend or revoke your license. In either case, you must surrender your SD driver’s license.
Following a license suspension, the DPS will set the date you’re eligible to get your license back. The period of time your license will be suspended is dependent upon the severity of the violation and/or the number of suspensions you have received.
You will NOT be required to retake the written and road tests, unless your SD driver’s license is expired. Reinstatement and license application fees will apply.
When your South Dakota driver’s license is revoked, you lose your privilege to drive and/or apply for a license.
Before an eligibility date can be set for you to get your license back, you must surrender your license. Testing will be required to get your license back, including application and reinstatement fees.
Drivers aged 16 years old and 17 years old must adhere to specific restrictions on their driver licenses. Any violations of these restrictions will result in a license suspension of 30 days for each violation.
Reinstatement fees do NOT apply for suspensions of permits or restricted licenses, unless the violation was assessed 6 or more points.
Driver Permit Suspensions
Any moving violation for a minor under 16 years old will automatically result in a suspension of the permit. The first violation will result in a suspension of 30 days. The second violation will result in a suspension of 90 days or until the driver turns 16 years old, whichever is longer.
Get your personal driver´s license history instantly and online. Find out what information is on your driving record with a BackgroundChecks.com Instant Motor Vehicle Report. Keep in mind, you can only run an instant motor vehicle report on yourself.
Under some circumstances, the department will provide an administrative hearing to drivers who request them.
For more information, please contact your local South Dakota driver license office. Be sure to make your request before your suspension begins.
At your local SD driver license office, you must:
- Complete a license application.
- Pass the required tests, if applicable:
- If you have a suspended license, you will NOT be required to take any tests unless your license expired during the suspension period.
- If your license is revoked, you must retake all tests.
- Pay all applicable reinstatement and application fees.
- See “Fees For Suspended Licenses in South Dakota.”
- Show proof of SR-22 insurance, if applicable.
If your license was suspended or revoked in South Dakota, you may be eligible to obtain a restricted work permit that allows you to drive with certain restrictions. Violating these restrictions will result in further suspension of your driving privileges.
To find out whether you are eligible for a restricted work permit, you must call (800) 952-3696 or (605) 773-6883.
If you are eligible, you can download the Application For South Dakota Restricted Permit and mail the completed form to the address listed.
The following fees will be assessed when you apply to get your SD driver license back after a suspension or revocation:
- Driver license fee: $20 (if your license was revoked).
- License renewal fee: $20 (if your license expired while suspended).
- Reinstatement fees: $50-$200.
- Motor vehicle report (South Dakota driving record): $5.
You can pay your fees by cash, check, or money order.
Credit and debit cards are NOT accepted.