- Location: South Dakota
Special Licenses in South Dakota
To drive a South Dakota school bus, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Own a commercial driver's license (CDL) with a school bus endorsement.
- Pass a physical.
- Over the last three years, be free of any DUI convictions or any offense involving immorality.
Questions? Contact South Dakota's Driver Licensing Program at (605) 773-3541.
You do not need a CDL nor a school bus endorsement if driving a shuttle van or bus designed for 15 passengers or less.
Each municipality mandates its own taxi driver license requirements.
South Dakota does not issue a chauffeur's license. However, check with the city you're working in for possible special requirements.
There is no age restriction. However, drivers under 14 years old cannot cross a public highway, unless in the presence of anyone 18 or older.Other Topics in This SectionArticles
- Especially for You: Information on Special Licenses
- Operating a Snow Mobile: Special Driver Licenses, Training, and Age Requirements
- What is a Special License, and Do You Need One?
- Driving All-Terrain Vehicles: Special Licenses, Training, and More for ATVs
- Special License Requirements: When and How to Apply for a Special License