Replacing a Lost Title in South Dakota
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
Ordering a Duplicate Title
Losing a title happens more than you might think. So much so South Dakota's Motor Vehicles Division (MVD) has an efficient duplicate title retrieval process.
The process is simple. All you must do is:
- Complete an aptly named Application for a Duplicate Certificate of Title. It must be signed before a notary public, and include the notary public's seal.
- Provide an odometer reading if your vehicle is under 10 years old, and/or has a gross vehicle weight rating of 16,000 pounds or less.
- Include a lien release if there's a lien, or have the lienholder sign the Application for a Duplicate Certificate of Title.
- Pay a $10 fee.
You can either deliver this in person to your county treasurer's office or mail to:
- Duplicate Title Section
- Division of Motor Vehicles
- 445 East Capitol Ave.
- Pierre, SD 57501-3185
Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.