Replacing a Lost License in South DakotaCompare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:
Head to any exam station with:
- An identity document.
- A document proving your Social Security number.
- Two documents proving your South Dakota address.
- Payment for $10 duplicate fee
For a complete list of acceptable documents, please visit the SD DPS website.
You can only apply by mail if you were issued a federally compliant driver license after December 30, 2009. If you currently reside in state, you cannot apply by mail. This option is only offered to South Dakota residents temporarily living out of state.
Apply for a duplicate license through mail by submitting a:
- CompletedSouth Dakota Driver License/I.D. Card Application.
- Legible photocopies of two proofs of identity.
- Legible photocopies of two proofs of South Dakota residential address. If you're using a SD mail forwarding address, also include a Residency Affidavit and one document proving your temporary SD address.
- Self-addressed and stamped envelope.
- Payment for $10.
- Driver Licensing Program
- 118 West Capitol Ave.
- Pierre, SD 57501
If sending a check, make it payable to "Department of Public Safety."
Call the SD DPS at (605) 773-6883 with any questions.Other Topics in This SectionTrue or False
Doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save your life if they know you’re an organ donor.