Moving Out of State in South Dakota
South Dakota does not issue registration refunds.
You are not required to surrender your license plates. Recycle them as you see fit once you get registered in your new state.
- Apply for a new driver's license. After establishing residency most states require that this be done within a set amount of time, usually ranging between 30 and 60 days.
- Apply for a new registration. This too must be completed within a set amount of days after establishing residency.
- Apply for new license plates. This generally coincides with the registration process.
- Apply for a new vehicle title. Unlike the aforementioned, applying for a new title generally, depending on your state, is not mandatory. If you plan on selling your vehicle, only then will you need an updated title to correspond with your new state.
- If you're a prospective new driver, check if your permit is honored in your new state.
- If you completed a driver education course in your old state, you will also need to investigate whether your new state will honor the completion certificate.
- Notify your insurance company of your move and provide a new address.
- Notify your leasing company if your vehicle is leased.
- Learn if your new state requires vehicle inspections.
heroes have registered as organ donors.