- Location: South Dakota
Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in South Dakota
Compare Motorcycle Insurance Rates in 3 EASY STEPS
Enter Your Zip Code:Though mopeds and scooters look harmless, the South Dakota Motor Vehicles Divsion (MVD) does require registration for these motorized bikes. For clarity's sake, the MVD considers mopeds and scooters as one and the same.
Before registering, determine that your bike classifies as a moped or scooter. South Dakota defines a moped as any two- or three-wheel bike featuring:
- An engine that's 50 cubic centimeters (cc) or less.
- No clutching or shifting.
If the engine size exceeds 50 cubic centimeters the moped or scooter may be licensed as a motorcycle.
Visit your county treasurer's office within 30 days of purchasing with:
- A completed Application for Motor Vehicle Title and Registration
- Proof of paying sales tax
- Either a manufacturer's statement of origin or a bill of sale
- Payment for $5 title fee