Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in South Dakota
Though mopeds and scooters look harmless, the South Dakota Motor Vehicles Division (MVD) does require registration for these motorized bikes. For clarity's sake, the MVD considers mopeds and scooters as one and the same.
Before registering, determine that your bike classifies as a moped or scooter. South Dakota defines a moped as any 2- or 3-wheel bike featuring:
- An engine that's 50 cubic centimeters (cc) or less.
- No clutching or shifting.
Visit your county treasurer's office with:
- An Application for Motor Vehicle Title and Registration.
- Proof of paying sales tax
- Either a manufacturer's statement of origin or a bill of sale
- Payment for $5 title fee
- Payment for any applicable registration fees.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!