Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in South Dakota
Compare Motorcycle Insurance Rates in 3 EASY STEPS
Enter Your Zip Code:Though mopeds and scooters look harmless, the South Dakota Motor Vehicles Divsion (MVD) does require registration for these motorized bikes. For clarity's sake, the MVD considers mopeds and scooters as one and the same.
Before registering, determine that your bike classifies as a moped or scooter. South Dakota defines a moped as any two- or three-wheel bike featuring:
- An engine that's 50 cubic centimeters (cc) or less.
- No clutching or shifting.
If the engine size exceeds 50 cubic centimeters the moped or scooter may be licensed as a motorcycle.
Visit your county treasurer's office within 30 days of purchasing with:
- Proof of paying sales tax
- Either a manufacturer's statement of origin or a bill of sale
- Payment for $5 title fee
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- The REAL ID Act: Are You Ready for a National ID?
- New Study: Voice Texting and Traditional Texting Equally Distracting
- Bicycling While Boozing
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.