Online Services in South Dakota
- Online Driver Services:
- Most Common Driver Services (online and otherwise)
- South Dakota Driver's License Testing and Educational Services
- Reports and Records for Individuals
- Online Vehicle Services:
- Most Common Vehicle Services (online and otherwise)
- Vehicle Insurance Services
- Vehicle Buying and Selling Services
South Dakota offers a number of online driver and vehicle services that can save you a trip to your local motor vehicle agency. Read on for a full list of online services available in the state.
Typically, driver services are handled through the South Dakota Department of Public Safety (DPS). We (DMV.org) also connect you to third-party vendors offering time-saving services; these are often not affiliated with the government. If you don't see the online service you need in the various sections below, you might have to visit a nearby SD DPS office. You can also peruse DMV.org or the state site for specific details.
- Apply for a driver's license or driver's permit.
- Apply for a motorcycle license.
- Apply for a commercial driver's license.
- Renew your driver's license.
- Schedule a drivers license renewal appointment online.
- Replace a lost or damaged driver's license.
- Apply for an ID card.
- Take care of traffic tickets.
- Make a change of address.
- Make a name change online with the state and beyond.
- Register to vote in South Dakota.
- Schedule a road test appointment online.
- Enroll in drivers education to prepare you for the permit or license test.
- Take drivers training to get behind-the-wheel practice.
- Take a SD drivers license practice test.
- Take a SD drivers permit practice test.
- Take a SD commercial drivers license (CDL) practice test.
- Take a SD motorcycle license practice test.
- Sign up for a drivers license prep course.
- Study a South Dakota Cheat Sheet and improve your chances for passing the written test.
- Order a driving record to see your own driving history or that of another driver.
- Review criminal records.
- Run a background check.
- Obtain court records or public records.
- Order vital records such as a birth or death certificate, marriage or divorce records.
- Run a credit report and check your credit score instantly.
Typically, vehicle services are handled through the Motor Vehicles Division (MVD) of the South Dakota Department of Revenue. We (DMV.org) also connect you to third-party vendors offering time-saving services; these are often not affiliated with the government. Since your options are limited, you still might need to visit a nearby SD MVD office. To learn more on a given task, you can also refer to related pages on DMV.org and your state site.
- Register your vehicle for the first time in South Dakota.
- Renew your South Dakota vehicle registration online.
- Sign up for SD vehicle registration renewal reminders online.
- Replace a lost or damaged title or registration.
- Learn more on SD smog check and emissions testing requirements.
- Obtain South Dakota license plates.
- Search available South Dakota personalized plates online.
Consult our Registration & Titling section if you don't see the online service you need; Our vehicle-related pages cover a multitude of topics so you can spend less time standing in line at an agency branch office.
Compare vehicle insurance rates to find the coverage in South Dakota that suits your needs and budget. If you don't see the type of insurance you need below, consult our Insurance Center. Here you can also learn more on state insurance requirements specific to the &State_Nickname&.
- Obtain a South Dakota seller's permit.
- Report a vehicle sale to the SD MVD.
- Obtain a Bill of Sale.
- Order a vehicle history report for a used car, RV or motorcycle.
- Purchase an auto warranty.
- Get an auto loan.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!