Online Services in South Dakota
South Dakota offers a number of online driver and vehicle services that can save you a trip to your local motor vehicle agency. Read on for a full list of online services available in the state.
Online Driver Services
Typically, driver services are handled through the South Dakota Department of Safety (DPS). We (DMV.org) also connect you to third-party vendors offering time-saving services; these are often not affiliated with the government. If you don't see the online service you need in the various sections below, you might have to visit a nearby SD DPS office. You can also peruse DMV.org or the state site for specific details.
- Apply for a driver's license or driver's permit.
- Apply for a motorcycle license.
- Apply for a commercial driver's license.
- Renew your driver's license.
- Schedule a drivers license renewal appointment online.
- Replace a lost or damaged driver's license.
- Apply for an ID card.
- Take care of traffic tickets.
- Make a change of address.
- Make a name change online with the state and beyond.
- Register to vote in South Dakota.
Refer to our Drivers License & ID section if you don't see the online service you need; Our driver-related pages offer a wealth of information that can still save you some time.
- Schedule a road test appointment online.
- Enroll in drivers education to prepare you for the permit or license test.
- Take drivers training to get behind-the-wheel practice.
- Take a SD drivers license practice test.
- Take a SD drivers permit practice test.
- Take a SD commercial drivers license (CDL) practice test.
- Take a SD motorcycle license practice test.
- Sign up for a drivers license prep course.
- Study a South Dakota Cheat Sheet and improve your chances for passing the written test.
Consult our Driver’s License Checklist for complete details on getting licensed in South Dakota.
- Order a driving record to see your own driving history or that of another driver.
- Review criminal records.
- Run a background check.
- Obtain court records or public records.
- Order vital records such as a birth or death certificate, marriage or divorce records.
- Run a credit report and check your credit score instantly.
Online Vehicle Services
Typically, vehicle services are handled through the Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) of the South Dakota Department of Revenue. We (DMV.org) also connect you to third-party vendors offering time-saving services; these are often not affiliated with the government. Because options are limited, you still might need to visit a nearby SD MVD office. To learn more on a given task, you can also refer to related pages on DMV.org and your state site.
- Register your vehicle for the first time in South Dakota.
- Renew your South Dakota vehicle registration online.
- Sign up for SD vehicle registration renewal reminders online.
- Replace a lost or damaged title or registration.
- Learn more on SD smog check and emissions testing requirements.
- Obtain South Dakota license plates.
- Search available South Dakota personalized plates online.
Consult our Registration & Titling section if you don't see the online service you need; Our vehicle-related pages cover a multitude of topics so you can spend less time standing in line at an agency branch office.
Compare vehicle insurance rates to find the coverage in South Dakota that suits your needs and budget. If you don't see the type of insurance you need below, consult our Insurance Center. Here you can also learn more on state insurance requirements specific to the Mount Rushmore State.
- Obtain a South Dakota seller's permit.
- Report a vehicle sale to the SD MVD.
- Obtain a Bill of Sale.
- Order a vehicle history report for a used car, RV or motorcycle.
- Purchase an auto warranty.
- Get an auto loan.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- New Study: Voice Texting and Traditional Texting Equally Distracting
- Bicycling While Boozing
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
- 5 Reasons to Welcome Big Brother Into Your Car
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.