- Location: South Dakota
Motorcycle Registration in South Dakota
Compare Motorcycle Insurance Rates in 3 EASY STEPS
Enter Your Zip Code:
All new or used motorcycles, motorbikes, mopeds (51cc or larger), motorized bicycles, motor-operated tricycles, and vehicles that have a platform for the driver to stand on, need to be registered within 30 days of purchase.
If you've just moved here from out of state, you have 90 days to register your cycle.
Visit your county treasurer's office with:
- A completed Application for Motor Vehicle Title and Registration
- A completed Power of Attorney form (only if someone other than the vehicle owner is to sign the registration)
- A completed bill of sale, purchase order, or sales contract (for out-of-state vehicle purchases only)
- Proper identification
- Payment for license fees
Once you've properly registered your cycle and paid the fees, you'll be given the registration paper. You'll need to have this with you whenever you ride your cycle.
You'll need to renew your registration every year on a schedule determined by the vehicle owner's first letter of their last name.
Of course, you'll also have to get a title for your motorcycle, and pay fees for that, too. Again, this will occur at the county treasurer's office. We talk about the titling process in our Title Transfers section.
For more information on the registration process, check out the state's registration home page.Articles
- 5 Important Steps If You Lost Your Drivers License
- I-94 Forms and Arriving in the U.S.
- What to do if the Colorado Floods Damaged Your Car
- 9 Urgent Must-Dos If You Lose Your Driver’s License
- 7 Reasons Student Drivers Fail Their Written Permit Exam
- Werner Herzog’s Texting-and-Driving Documentary Slated to Hit Hard