Motorcycle Registration in South Dakota
Compare Motorcycle Insurance Rates in 3 EASY STEPS
Enter Your Zip Code:
All new or used motorcycles, motorbikes, mopeds (51cc or larger), motorized bicycles, motor-operated tricycles, and vehicles that have a platform for the driver to stand on, need to be registered within 30 days of purchase.
If you've just moved here from out of state, you have 90 days to register your cycle.
Visit your county treasurer's office with:
- A completed Power of Attorney form (only if someone other than the vehicle owner is to sign the registration)
- A completed bill of sale, purchase order, or sales contract (for out-of-state vehicle purchases only)
- Proper identification
- Payment for license fees
Once you've properly registered your cycle and paid the fees, you'll be given the registration paper. You'll need to have this with you whenever you ride your cycle.
You'll need to renew your registration every year on a schedule determined by the vehicle owner's first letter of their last name.
Of course, you'll also have to get a title for your motorcycle, and pay fees for that, too. Again, this will occur at the county treasurer's office. We talk about the titling process in our Title Transfers section.
For more information on the registration process, check out the state's registration home page.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- Bicycling While Boozing
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
- 5 Reasons to Welcome Big Brother Into Your Car
- Would Iron Man buy rental car insurance
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.