Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Name Change in South Dakota

    South Dakota Name Change Package - $29.95

    These industry-leading Name Change Packages automate the completion of the forms required to change your name in South Dakota. Just complete the quick questionnaire, print the forms, and file them. Changing your name has never been easier.

    Get Started

    Name Change Package
    Includes Forms for:

    • Drivers License
    • Vehicle Title
    • Registration
    • IRS
    • Voter Registration
    • US Passport
    • Bank Notification
    • Credit Card Notification
    • Insurance Notification

    Summary: How to Change Your Name in South Dakota

    To change your name on your South Dakota driver’s license/ID card, and vehicle documents, you’ll need to visit your local DPS office in person. Prior to this, you should change your name with the Social Security Administration. At the DPS, you’ll need to provide proof of your name change as well as other documents to prove your identity. You’ll also need to pay appropriate fees for updated documents, such as a new driver's license or registration certificate.

    Follow the instructions on this page to update your name on your South Dakota Department of Public Safety (DPS) and Division of Motor Vehicles (MVD) documents.

    Change Your Name with the SSA

    If you’ve just been divorced, gotten married, or changed your name for any other reason, you’ll need to update the Social Security Administration (SSA). In some states, the DMV will verify your new name with the SSA, so this is an important first step.

    You will need to submit the following documents to the SSA either in person or by mail:

    • Proof of your:
      • Identity (e.g. driver’s license, ID card, passport).
      • U.S. citizenship OR immigration status (e.g. U.S. birth certificate, U.S. citizenship certificate, I-94 and employment visa).
      • Name change (e.g. court order, marriage certificate, divorce decree).
    • A completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).

    Once the SSA has processed your application, you should receive your updated Social Security card in the mail within 10 business days.

    For more information and a list of required documents, visit the SSA website.

    SD Driver’s License/ID Card Name Change

    To change your name on your South Dakota driver’s license or ID card, you’ll need to visit your local DPS office in person and:

    • Show proof of your name change, such as your:
      • Marriage certificate.
      • Divorce decree.
      • Official court order.
    • Show proof of your identity, date of birth, and lawful status in the U.S., such as your:
      • U.S. birth certificate.
      • U.S. citizenship certificate.
      • Valid employment authorization card.
    • Show proof of your Social Security number (SSN), such as your:
      • Social Security card.
      • W-2 form.
      • Pay stub (showing both your name and SSN).
    • Show 2 documents proving your SD address, such as your:
      • Utility bill.
      • Rental receipt.
      • Bank statement.
    • Pay the $10 fee.

    A complete list of required documents can be found on the SD DPS website.

    Car Registration & Title Name Change

    Once you’ve updated your South Dakota driver’s license with the Department of Public Safety (DPS), you can request an updated certificate of title and car registration showing your new name from the SD DMV.

    Contact the South Dakota DMV directly for specific instructions. You will likely need to visit your local SD DMV office in person and submit:

    • Proof of your name change.
    • Your current title certificate.
    • Your current registration document.
    • Payment for duplicate documents.

    For more information about applying for duplicate documents, visit our following pages:

    Fees to Change Your Name in SD

    To change your name on your SD DPS and DMV documents, you will need to pay the following fees:

    • Driver’s license/ID card: $10.
    • Title: $10.

    If you have any questions about fees, including accepted payment methods, contact:

    • The SD DPS: For driver’s license and ID card information.
    • The South Dakota DMV: For motor vehicle (title and registration) information.
    Other Topics in This Section
    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.