- Location: South Dakota
Boat Registration and Licenses in South DakotaGet Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:Page Overview
- All motor boats.
- Sail boats longer than 12 feet in length.
What Not to Register
- Inflatable vessels.
- Any boat registered in another state, provided it is not kept in South Dakota for more than 60 consecutive days.
All boats requiring registration must also be titled.
- Visit your county treasurer's office. Register in your county of residence, rather than in the county where you use your boat.
- Complete an Application for Boat Title.
- Provide proof of ownership (manufacturer's statement of origin, bill of sale or dealer invoice).
- Provide either your South Dakota driver's license or Social Security card.
- Pay all applicable fees.
Boats must be titled within 30 days of purchasing.
Sail Boats Longer Than 12 Feet and Boats Propelled by Electric Motors
- One year: $12.50
Motorboats Shorter Than 19 Feet
- One year: $20
Motorboats 19 Feet and Longer
- One year: $40
- Title: $5
- Title With Liens: $5 for title
Boats are registered for one year.
Only available in certain counties. Call your county treasurer.
Renew in Person
Bring a photo ID and either your renewal notification or your boat's old registration to your county treasurer's office
Renew by Mail
Mail renewal notification to your county treasurer's office.
Visit your county treasurer's office with proof of identification. Cost: $1
South Dakota does not require a boating safety certificate to operate a boat.Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks