Boat Registration and Licenses in South Dakota
Renew Your California Boat Registration Today!
Official California Boat Registration & Stickers Issued.
Overnight Delivery Available.
Renew your California Boat Registration online and Cartagz will instantly issue your official California registration and stickers.
California Boat Registration Online with CarTagz
- Saves you a trip to the DMV
- Helps you avoid late fees
- Offers next business day delivery
- Does not require a renewal notice
- Same Day E-Copy of Your New Registration Card.
Approved and contracted by the state, Cartagz provides a quick and easy alternative to standing in long lines at the DMV. For $29 (plus DMV fees), you can painlessly renew your registration in just a few simple steps.Page Overview
South Dakota Boat Registration and Licenses
Applications for South Dakota boat registration and titling are handled by the Motor Vehicle Division (MVD). You'll be working directly with your local county treasurer.
You've found the correct page if you're looking for information about how to register your boat, renew your boat registration, or get a duplicate copy of your SD boat registration document.
NOTE: You must register and title your boat within 30 days of acquiring it.
- All motor boats.
- Sail boats over 12 feet in length must have validation stickers.
- Non-motorized boats that are 12 feet in length or less.
- Any boat registered in another state, provided it is not kept in South Dakota for more than 60 consecutive days.
- Inflatable vessels.
South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks requires boat numbers (for identification purposes) on all motorized boats, regardless of length, and non-motorized boats longer than 18 feet.
All boats requiring registration must also be titled in South Dakota.
To register and title your boat in South Dakota, you must:
- Visit your county treasurer's office. Register in your county of residence, rather than in the county where you use your boat.
- Complete a Boat Title and Registration Application (Form 0868 V10).
- Provide proof of ownership (manufacturer's statement of origin, bill of sale, or dealer invoice).
- Provide either your South Dakota driver's license or Social Security card.
- Pay all applicable fees. See "Fees to Register Your SD Boat" below.
The fees for registering your boat in South Dakota are as follows:
- Non-motorized or electric motor over 12 ft: $12.50.
- Motorized boats under 19 ft: $20.
- Motorized boats over 19 ft: $40.
If you would like to obtain a duplicate copy of your SD boat registration certificate, you will need to visit your local SD MVD office with proof of identification.
SD boat registrations are good for 1 year. You can renew your boat registration:
- In person.
- By mail.
Online boat registration renewal is only available in certain South Dakota counties. Call your county treasurer for more information.
Renew in Person
To submit your boat registration renewal in person, you will need to bring a photo ID and either your renewal notification or your boat's old registration to your county treasurer's office.
Renew by Mail
Mail your South Dakota boat renewal notification to your SD Motor Vehicle Division office.
You are not required to complete a boater safety course to operate a boat in South Dakota. It is a good idea to complete a course, however, to ensure the safety of yourself and others. Courses can be taken both online or in a classroom format.
For information on boating safety, visit the South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks website.
While carrying a boat insurance policy is not a requirement in South Dakota, consider purchasing a policy anyway to make sure you're protected if you have an accident in your boat.
To find out if getting insurance coverage is right for you, take a few minutes to read our boat insurance page and consider getting an insurance quote.Other Topics in This Section