511 Traffic Systems in South Carolina
511, America's Traveler Information Number, will soon debut in South Carolina. The U.S. Department of Transportation, with the approval of the Federal Communications Commission, developed the Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) to increase traffic efficiency and safety on the nation's roadways.
The ITS gathers information about almost everything that can impair the ability of motorists to arrive at their destination safely and smoothly, such as detours, accidents, road closures, poor weather conditions, and dangerous roadway surfaces.
Simply dial 511 while you're in South Carolina to hear the State's traffic information, including:
- Traffic congestion and speeds.
- Weather closures.
- Weather conditions.
Before you hit the road, you can also check the website to plan the best route possible.
If you're planning to drive to other states, check to see if the 511 service is available by visiting the Federal Highway Administration website.Recommended ArticlesOther Topics in This Section
- Traffic Alerts
- 511 Traffic Systems
- Tire Recalls
- Safety Laws
- How Emotions Affect Driving
- Driving in Hazardous Conditions
- Teen Drivers: A Beginner's Guide
- Seniors: When To Turn Over The Car Keys
- Packing Your First-Aid Kit
- Seven Senior Safety Suggestions
- Wildlife on the Road
- When to Call Wildlife Rescue
- Taking A Mature Driver Course
- Medications & Driving
- Night Driving
- Hallucinations on the Road
- How To Drive Distraction Free
- Road Rage: How To Deal With It
Provide FeedbackBe a Hero
heroes have registered as organ donors.