- Location: South Carolina
Special Licenses in South CarolinaPage Overview
You'll need to obtain a commercial driver's license (CDL) if you intend to drive any of the following:
- A vehicle whose actual, registered, or gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is over 26,000 pounds and is towing a vehicle with an actual, registered, or GVWR of over 10,000 pounds (class A license)
- A vehicle whose actual, registered, or GVWR is over 26,000 pounds and is not towing another vehicle with a GVWR over 10,000 pounds (class B license)
- A vehicle weighing under 26,000 pounds and designed to either transport at least 16 people (including the driver) or carry hazardous materials (class C license)
Certain driving professions require having endorsements in addition to a CDL, while others don't require a CDL.
Those seeking to transport children in a school bus need to have a CDL if the bus is designed to seat more than 16 people, including the driver. If so, you'll need to obtain a passenger ("P") and a school bus ("S") endorsement, besides the CDL.
Shuttle buses not only come in a variety of styles and sizes, but are used in many different ways. Drivers may need to obtain a CDL, along with a passenger or other endorsements. Check with the potential employer to find out what is needed for the particular situation.
In general, taxi cab drivers don't need a special license or permit for their jobs. However, local jurisdictions or employers may have additional requirements, so check with the proper authorities for more information.
While South Carolina doesn't impose any special statewide licensing requirements for chauffeurs, local jurisdictions or employers may impose additional requirements.
Off-highway or all-terrain vehicle users don't need a special license to operate their bikes.Other Topics in This SectionArticles
- Especially for You: Information on Special Licenses
- Operating a Snow Mobile: Special Driver Licenses, Training, and Age Requirements
- What is a Special License, and Do You Need One?
- Driving All-Terrain Vehicles: Special Licenses, Training, and More for ATVs
- Special License Requirements: When and How to Apply for a Special License