Salvaged Vehicles in South Carolina

In South Carolina, a vehicle can be declared a total loss if the cost of repair, including parts and labor is 75% or more of the vehicle's market value.

If your car has been declared a total loss by the insurance company due to an accident, a storm, vandals, or some other cause, a Salvage Title will need to be issued through the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The owner of the car, an authorized requestor, or the insurance company can apply for this certificate.

If you retain ownership to the wrecked car and rebuild it, you will need to have it inspected before another title can be issued. A regular title may not ever be issued again, but it will be designated as "salvage-rebuilt."

To apply for a salvage title, you will need:

You can apply for a salvage title in person at your local DMV or you can mail the completed applications, supporting documents, and fees to:

  • South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles
  • Attention: Title Mail-In Unit
  • P.O. Box 1498
  • Blythewood, SC 29016

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Salvaged Vehicles in Another State?