Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Replacing a Lost Title in South Carolina

    Registering a car?

    It's a good time to check car insurance rates

    Find the lowest rate among top providers.

    Replacing a Lost Title in South Carolina

    You'll need to apply for a replacement South Carolina vehicle title from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) if your title is lost, stolen, or destroyed.

    Continue reading this page to find out exactly how to replace your title with the SC DMV, and handle other title scenarios related to lien releases and changes to your title.

    Applying for a Duplicate SC Vehicle Title

    You can submit a request for a replacement title in South Carolina online, by mail or in person at your local SC DMV office.


    You can submit your request for a duplicate title online at the SC DMV website.

    By Mail or In Person

    To apply for a duplicate SC title by mail or in person, you'll need to:

    • Submit both forms to your local DMV or by mail to:

    P.O. Box 1498
    Blythewood, SC 29016

    The titling fee for a duplicate title is $15.

    NOTE: When applying in person, you'll need to provide proof of identity, such as your:

    • Valid South Carolina credential.
    • Valid out-of-state credential that’s unexpired.
    • Valid or unexpired Employment Authorization Document (EAD).
    • Passport that’s valid and unexpired.
    • Permanent residency card that unexpired and valid.

    Did you know you can sign up as an organ donor and donate during this process?

    The SCDMV site includes a portion on the Application for Certificate of Title and Registration for Motor Vehicle or Manufactured Home/Mobile Home (Form 400) to make a donation to DonateLifeSC. Your donation will help fund efforts efforts to increase donation, awareness and fund-raising events, and continued access to a statewide organ donor registry.

    You may send a check for your monetary donation, but do not send cash.

    Rush Service

    For an additional $20, the DMV can expedite your new title, getting it to you within 3 business days. This can be useful if you are selling the vehicle and need the title document to complete the transaction.

    You'll need to complete Expedited Documents/Records Request Form (MV-82), attach it to the front of your application packet, and mail it to the SC DMV main office.

    Other Title Scenarios

    What happens if the vehicle is more than 25 years old and has no title?

    If you don’t have a previous title, and your vehicle is 25 years old or older, you can apply for approval for a new title, which can be processed at DMV headquarters. Applicants must bring:

    Lien Release

    If there is a lien on your vehicle, the South Carolina DMV will mail the replacement title to the lienholder.

    Lien holders are now able to release a lien electronically if an electronic title exists. You can either complete the release information on the front of it, or turn in a letter on business letterhead. If you’re applying for a new title and there’s an existing lien, a copy will be sent to both you and the owner.

    If you use a letter with business overhead, please include:

    • Name of owner.
    • VIN of the vehicle with the lien.
    • Existing title number.
    • Release date of lien.
    • The signature of an authorized rep from your business.

    Making Corrections on Your SC Title

    You can make a variety of changes to your title in the process of replacing a lost title, including:

    • Changing the owner’s name.
    • Updating the owner’s address.
    • Correcting odometer information that may have been reported incorrectly when the title was issued.
    • Updating any insurance information.
    • Updating any lienholder information.

    Change Your Address

    If you recently moved, you will need to update your address before applying for a duplicate title.

    Although you’re still required to visit your local SCDMV office in person for many tasks, you may change your address online by visiting the SC DMV website.

    You can also visit a local SCDMV office to request or submit the Application for Name and/or Address Change, Date of Birth and/or Social Security Correction, or Special Mailing (Form 4057) by mail.

    For more information, please see our page about Changing Your Address.