Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Special Vehicles in South Carolina

    Compare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps

    1. Enter Your Zip:

    We cover how to register your car elsewhere on this site. But what about the myriad other types of vehicles? The South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requires you to register some types but not others.

    Golf Carts

    The DMV requires that you register your golf cart. It's a simple process; just complete the Golf Cart Permit Registration (Form GC-2) and submit it, along with proof of insurance and a $5 fee, to your local DMV. After the DMV has signed off on the form, keep it with you at all times while operating the golf cart.

    Note that you are allowed to drive a golf cart outside of a golf course only if you do so during daylight hours, limit your travel to secondary streets and highways, and remain within two miles of your residence or office.

    ATVs and Snowmobiles

    South Carolina does not require titles or registrations for any vehicle that does not use the highways or byways; this exemption includes all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and snowmobiles.


    Trailers must be registered in South Carolina. Visit your local DMV to complete an application and pay the appropriate fees. If you have a utility or camper trailer, the fee is $10. You can purchase a lifetime license plate for trailers for a one-time fee of $87.

    Larger trailers―those with an empty weight greater than 2,500 pounds―require a $20 registration fee. The DMV provides a complete list of fees on its website.

    All Other Registrations has compiled a great resource to help you figure out all the title and registration requirements for various vehicles. Be sure to check out these links for more information:

    Organ Donation Survey

    Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?

    Yes No

    Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.

    Update Your Organ
    Donor Information ▸