Motorcycle Registration in South Carolina
Compare Motorcycle Insurance Rates in 3 EASY STEPS
Enter Your Zip Code:
Registering your motorcycle in South Carolina is the same as registering a passenger car, but the registration fees are only $10 plus the applicable taxes.
For new motorcycle purchases, you will need to provide the following documentation and fees:
- Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, or original title.
- Lien information. If you've taken a loan to buy the bike, the DMV will need to know the date of the loan and the name and address of the lienholder.
- Odometer reading.
- Receipt for paid property tax. SC bills you for property tax on all vehicles, and you must pay this tax before you can register your bike.
- Casual Sales Tax is also collected on all vehicles. This tax is 5% of the purchase price (maximum of $300).
When you have gathered all the above information, you can take it to your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or mail it to:
- SC Department of Motor Vehicles
- P.O. Box 1498
- Blythewood, SC 29016-0024
South Carolina requires your registration to be renewed every two years, in the month you first registered your bike. The fee for renewal is $10.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- New Study: Voice Texting and Traditional Texting Equally Distracting
- Bicycling While Boozing
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
- 5 Reasons to Welcome Big Brother Into Your Car
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.