Custom Built Car Registration in South CarolinaCompare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:
The South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has two designations for custom-built cars―those that are homemade, and those made from kits.
Homemade cars include vehicles built from raw materials. The model of the car is determined by the year the car is actually built, not the age of the parts. If applicable, the title will be based on the previous title if there ever was one. The previous title must be assigned to only you; any liens must be cleared or released.
When applying to title your homemade car, you'll need to provide:
- A Form 4038, available online using the free Adobe Reader.
- Proof of identity.
- Salvage Title, if you don't have the original title.
- Bill of Sale or receipts for parts used.
- The assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN); an authorized agent from the DMV will inspect the vehicle and assign the VIN.
- A receipt for paid property taxes for the current year.
- Title and registration fees, if applicable.
Kit cars are manufactured to resemble other vehicles already made, but at a lower cost. Some kits require you to purchase the chassis elsewhere, whereas some are complete with their own chassis.
These kit cars come with a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, which you will need to present when you register and tag your vehicle. The title issued to you will designate that the car is a kit car.
You won't need any special forms to register and tag your kit car, but you will need to complete Form 400 to apply.
With a custom car, you may want to put a special license plate on it, so be sure to explore all the plate options available.Other Topics in This Section
Organ Donation Survey
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸