- Location: South Carolina
Boat Registration and Licenses in South CarolinaGet Free Boat & Watercraft Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:Page Overview
- All motorized boats and watercraft.
- All sailboats and outboard motors with 5 horsepower or more must be titled.
What Not to Register
- Non-motorized rowboats.
- Non-motorized canoes.
- Non-motorized kayaks.
- Any boat documented with the U.S. Coast Guard.
- Boats registered in another state and only in South Carolina on a temporary basis.
Titles and registrations are handled by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR).
Submit the following:
- Current title, if the boat is used; or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, if the watercraft is new.
- A notarized bill of sale.
- A completed Watercraft/Outboard Motor Application .
- Payment of all fees and taxes.
Visit the DNR's website for title and registration transfer information for all other scenarios (estates, boats purchased in other states, etc.).
- Title and registration for new boats: $40
- Title and registration for transferred boats: $16
- Title and registration for sailboats with motorized propulsion: $40
- Title for sailboats without motorized propulsion: $10
- Boat registration renewal: $30
Boat registrations can be renewed:
- By mail.
- In person.
Renew by Mail
Mail the renewal form to the address on your renewal notice. If you did not receive a renewal notification, complete a Watercraft/Outboard Motor Application.
Renew in Person
Drop off your renewal notice at any DNR location.
Replace Lost Registration
Complete a Watercraft/Outboard Motor Application and mail it to the address at the top of the form. Cost: $5
Boaters younger than 16 can operate a boat with 15 or more horsepower if they complete a state-approved boating safety class, or are accompanied by an adult.Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks