Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Accident Guide in South Carolina

    Compare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps

    1. Enter Your Zip:

    Accidents happen. If you are involved in a traffic accident, you have several tasks ahead of you. You should call law enforcement unless there was minimal damage to vehicles or property. However, you definitely need to call the police if the accident resulted in an injury or death.

    If the police weren't involved but the wreck caused damages greater than $1,000 or resulted in injury or death to anyone, the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles requires all drivers to submit a completed and accurate Traffic Collision Report, Form FR-309.

    Submit the form within 15 days of the accident by mail to:

    • S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles
    • FR 309/FR-21
    • Financial Responsibility
    • P.O. Box 1498
    • Blythewood, SC 29016-0040

    Failure to Report an Accident

    The law requires the driver or owner of the vehicle involved in the collision to submit the Traffic Collision Report, Form FR-309. Note that your insurance company must also complete a portion to verify your coverage. If you don't properly submit this report, the DMV will take this as evidence that the vehicle was not insured, and you might be subject to legal penalties for driving without insurance.


    If you have an accident, exchange information with all parties involved. Get names, addresses, phone numbers, tag (license plate) numbers, driver's license numbers, insurance information, and vehicle descriptions. If there are witnesses, be sure to get their names and addresses, too.

    True or False

    Doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save your life if they know you’re an organ donor.

    True False


    Every doctors first priority is to save your life regardless of your organ donation status.

    More about Organ Donation ▸ Become an Organ Donor ▸